IGNORED

Hack-O-Matic 3 with Pinning feature and comments!

SalemFrost7800

In case you are tired of copying one hex code at a time, here is a quick update which allows you can bulk copy/paste the hex code in the main editor or the text from the text editor. Highlight and copy the section you want and then place the cursor from the start location you want to paste too. I didn't have much time to test it and I didn't bother adding support for the notes field. Hopefully this eases the pain for some of you.

-Jeff

HOM3014.zip

Yes that was what I had been waiting for, You mean I can copy in the bookmarks like one pin like lets say player walking sprite, then highlight all the pins of the player walking sprite and paste and they will all be labeled player walking sprite? Wow this saves all that paste move paste move paste that I had to do before! Excellent work!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Wade

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I haven't posted a release in a while and I can't think of anything else to add so here is what I have (3.017)

What's new

-Multi-Delete: You can highlight multiple cells and hit the delete key

-Multi-Toggle bit codes: You can highlight mutlple cells and hit the space bar to toggle the bit codes instead of clicking one at a time!

-Multi-toggle of bookmarks: You can now select a group of bookmark cells and pin them all at once instead of doing them one at a time.

What's fixed

-Fixed a bunch of copy/paste errors introduced in 3.015

-You would get a crash if you pasted invalid data intocells

-Pasting when the clipboard is null would cause an error

-Hitting a key before loading a rom would generate an error

-Pasting into a bookmark cell would cause an error

Enjoy,

Jeff

HOM3017.zip

• 3 weeks later...

One more update. Now when you compare roms you can create patch, or diff, files that then can be applied later. You can use this to track changes and roll back in case you screw something up. These are compressed to save space. The RFL files are now compressed as well to save space. Of course existing, non compressed, RFL files will still work.

-Jeff

HOM3018.zip

Here is the latest version (3.013) with some new features and bug fixes.

What's new :?:

1. You can nable an option so that hovering over the hex code will give you the ASCII text equivilant

2. You can bring up a text editor

3. Search for text strings

4. Advanced search for helping locate colors

5. Multiselect for bulk bookmarking or highlighting

6. Highlights on hex codes will be saved to the .RFL. This shouldn't break older RFL files, but older versions of hackomatic won't read the new RFLs that contain highlight information.

What's fixed :!:

1. Undo wasn't possible when pasting

2. Unfiltering by bookmarks would generate an error if the notes in a row were empty

I have no idea what I might have potentially broke by introducing the newer features. Let me know if you find anything.

-Jeff

"Advanced search for helping locate colors!" oh Jeff Thank you thank you thank you!!!! No more 100's of attempts of changing bits to find out if it is a color or important game data! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Like with Pitfall III I knew the gators were green but which one I tried 20 different greens and each of the numbers were like in the game 20 to 30 different times so right there that is over 200 attempts before I found the color, what a hack that is, wow colors anyplace in that ROM not all grouped like I am used to finding. lol

The only thing I did notice was I tried a while back to see if I could hack Pitfall II that gives some kind of error???

Wade

One more update. Now when you compare roms you can create patch, or diff, files that then can be applied later. You can use this to track changes and roll back in case you screw something up. These are compressed to save space. The RFL files are now compressed as well to save space. Of course existing, non compressed, RFL files will still work.

-Jeff

This is just what I need now because I did screw something up in Pitfall III Harry jr. something with the opening and closing pits. But I am more excited over the advanced color search function does it look for where colors are stored like in disassemble but for bit hackers to understand?

Thanks again

Wade

-Jeff

This is just what I need now because I did screw something up in Pitfall III Harry jr. something with the opening and closing pits. But I am more excited over the advanced color search function does it look for where colors are stored like in disassemble but for bit hackers to understand?

Thanks again

Wade

The color searching it's an exact science, but it should help locate bit codes that could imply setting colors - it still could be data of course. There is still going to be an element of trial and error I'm afraid, but hopefully it helps speed up the process for your guys. Keep up the good hacking :)

-Jeff

Edited by jwierer

The color searching it's an exact science, but it should help locate bit codes that could imply setting colors - it still could be data of course. There is still going to be an element of trial and error I'm afraid, but hopefully it helps speed up the process for your guys. Keep up the good hacking :)

-Jeff

Thanks oh and for Pitfall II all you need to do is try to open it in HOM3.

Wade

Thanks oh and for Pitfall II all you need to do is try to open it in HOM3.

Wade

Interesting Pitfall 2 is an odd-sized rom. I hadn't accounted for that. Now fixed.

-Jeff

Thanks again, yes I now remember why I tried to get into Pitfall two, so I could copy the bat for my Pitfall III hack.

I did a pretty good job just eyeballing it in the game though I think it looks a lot like the bat in Pitfall II. ;)

Wade

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to copy a sprite from one game and paste it into another. Is that possible or do I have to do it manually? (And furthermore, is there a way to see if the sprite I'm editing will exceed the limits?)

I'm not very familiar with what Hack-O-Matic 3 can and can't do, so I might be wrong, but (1) I don't think HOM3 can replace an entire sprite with another sprite, and (2) I don't think there's an easy way in HOM3 to tell if the sprite you're pasting into the program will exceed the limits of the first sprite.

I think you'll need to disassemble the two games. Then-- assuming the sprite data sections are in a nice, easy-to-identify format, or else that you know the addresses where the sprite data are located (and HOM3 can help with that)-- you can copy the data from the disassembly of the first program, paste those lines of data into the second program, save the changed disassembled program code, and recompile it. As far as telling if the new data will exceed the limits of the old data, just pay close attention to the number of bytes you're copying and pasting, test the modified program carefully, and do the whole process over again from scratch copying and pasting either more or fewer bytes until you get the results you're after.

Michael

I'm trying to copy a sprite from one game and paste it into another. Is that possible or do I have to do it manually? (And furthermore, is there a way to see if the sprite I'm editing will exceed the limits?)

You can, but the trick is not to select the region of the sprite. Instead select all the hex codes for that area and copy. You can then paste anywhere else in the rom or into an another copy of HOM3. I believe if you try to paste beyond a region in the rom I either ignored the paste or throw up a warning message. Try and see.

I also have a newer version that I have been too lazy to post for a while.

-Jeff

You can, but the trick is not to select the region of the sprite. Instead select all the hex codes for that area and copy. You can then paste anywhere else in the rom or into an another copy of HOM3. I believe if you try to paste beyond a region in the rom I either ignored the paste or throw up a warning message. Try and see.

I also have a newer version that I have been too lazy to post for a while.

-Jeff

Any new fetures in the new version? Pretty cool you would bring this up today because I just updated my HOM3 page on my site last night and was wondering in you had a newer version :)

Edited by usinoh

Any new fetures in the new version? Pretty cool you would bring this up today because I just updated my HOM3 page on my site last night and was wondering in you had a newer version :)

Here you go version 3.020. I think I did this back in January.

[NEW] Be able to select binary codes for left/right shift. Not sure why, but I thought this might be useful

[NEW] It's not particularly fast with roms over 40K so I added the ability to split Rom into multiple files

[NEW] Then of course you needed a way to join rom parts files into one file again

Also fixed some bugs

[bug] If emulator path was bad it was using filename instead of the path which threw a confusing error

[bug] Version number wasn't being saved to registry

[bug] If emulator path is bad offer to open dialog to change the path

I haven't looked at the code since so this might be my last update.

-Jeff

HOM3.020.zip

• 5 months later...

Do people still use HOM3 or should I try and find another program like Bit Hacker or whatever it was called?!

I downloaded and ran the latest version of this and get an error. It won't even open. I have Windows XP. It says "This application has failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Do people still use HOM3 or should I try and find another program like Bit Hacker or whatever it was called?!

I downloaded and ran the latest version of this and get an error. It won't even open. I have Windows XP. It says "This application has failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

I'm pretty sure I have HOM3 running successfully on my Windows XP computer at home. I'll check and see.

Michael

XP came out before the .NET FX 2.0 so you have to make sure you've installed that prior to using HOM3.

-Jeff

XP came out before the .NET FX 2.0 so you have to make sure you've installed that prior to using HOM3.

-Jeff

Yep, I couldn't open my HOM3 either on XP either until I did what Jeff just said (and thank you very much for that! :)). You can get that here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Also some people having the same issues got HOM3 working in Xp got it working in Win 98 backwards compatibilty. I prefer just downloading the file myself but whatever floats your boat. Now I am using Vista and HOM3 hasn't given me any problems, just everything else I try to run, lol.

I use both Bithacker and HOM3 for hacking roms. Bithacker is amazing for drawing sprites, but you have to be careful or you can do some real damage if your cursor suddenly skips up the screen while you are erasing stuff. One of the best features that I like about HOM3 is that I can change something, save the bin, fire it up with my emulator (I use an emulator and HOM3 side by side), and if I don't like it or it causes the program to crash I can still undo it with the undo button even though I saved. I can't begin to tell you how useful this is. You save it, test the rom, and you can still undo it after and save it again. That's freakin' sweet. HOM3 is wicked for finding colors, comparing files side by side (it will tell you which exact lines are different between two files), adding notes for yourself, and tons and tons more. Bithacker can't be beat for drawing sprites though especially when you want to hack something like this:

post-7074-1189839517_thumb.jpg

Or that Random Terrain did:

post-7074-1189839607_thumb.jpg

You can see how useful that can be if you can simply click to draw or delete a sprite. Everything else you'll probably want to use HOM3 for though.

bithacker.zip

HOM3.020.zip

Edited by Omegamatrix
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Similar to what someone else said, I didn't want to download something that might clog up my computer to make Hack-O-Matic III work on my Windows XP PC. But now that I have a Windows Vista computer that already has what is needed, Hack-O-Matic III works! Now I can use Hack-O-Matic III and Bit Hacker.

• 9 months later...

I've been meaning to update HOM3 for a while. Here is the latest.

[New] I rewrote the rom loading code to be more efficient and multi-threaded. That means for those of you with modern PC's with multiple CPUs or cores, loading larger roms should be significantly faster. For the rest it might be marginally faster due to optimizations

[New] You can copy sprite data into Visual bB format. Therefore if you want to grab a sprite from your favorite game and reuse it in a bB game you need only copy and paste

[New] Supports multiple emulators. Therefore when you switch between hacking atari 2600, 5200, 7800, colecovision etc... you don't have to keep switching emulators you just choose from a set of pre-configured ones

I might have made other changes, but I don't remember.

HOM3.030.zip

-Jeff

P.S. Perhaps this should be pinned so others can easily find it?

• Like 2