IGNORED

Pitfall II 2nd maze: Ending pix!

the 5th ghost

Hi,

For the first time ever, I have finished the 2nd maze in Pitfall II for the 5200! :cool:

Here's pix of the treasure room, where it says "...charming the golden rope may be Pitfall Harry's only escape" or something like that. You must pick up the Clarinet, the Basket, the Golden Rope, and the Charmer (the man with the hat) before entering this room.

You have to go over and touch the "Charmer", then the music starts and the rope ascends, carrying you and your buddies (and the ring for some reason :) )

Once on top, the final screen appears, enjoy the pix!

I wonder what a perfect score is for Pitfall II? I died several times in my attempt, so I lost many points. I even died a couple times in the first maze, which is why that score ended up being 183,822.

My score for the 2nd maze ended up being: 244, 662 since the score gets added to the 1st score (thus it reads 428,484)

post-2095-1154633881_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1154633891_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1154633901_thumb.jpg

post-2095-1157295429_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 5th ghost
  • Like 5

Yes, there is an ending. After getting all the special items in the second maze, go to a room with

a lare open shaft in the ceiling and Pitfall Harry will climb the magic rope to the surface again.

the ending screen shown him surrounded by treasures on the surface, I think. If you go to

that screen before collecting all the treasures, it has a message with a clue to how to escape.

Honestly, for most people I would think it's a lot harder to get the last treasure than to find

the exit shaft. You must be really good at timed jumps with the 5200 controller...

Yes, there is an ending. After getting all the special items in the second maze, go to a room with

a lare open shaft in the ceiling and Pitfall Harry will climb the magic rope to the surface again.

the ending screen shown him surrounded by treasures on the surface, I think. If you go to

that screen before collecting all the treasures, it has a message with a clue to how to escape.

Honestly, for most people I would think it's a lot harder to get the last treasure than to find

the exit shaft. You must be really good at timed jumps with the 5200 controller...

Awesome! Thanks!

I actually saw that treasure room before, but didn't know that I had to go back to it once I recovered everything. You're right, one time I was in there and when I stood over the "magic rope", a message appeared at the bottom saying something about finding the trumpet.

You are absolutely right about the 5200 controller. My biggest problem is stopping on the ladders so that I don't climb into the frogs. The "wacky bats" were tough for me at first too, until I learned how to time it. The ants are easy once you get the timing down. The pirahnas were tough too. I was considering picking up a Redemption so I can just plug in a regular Atari stick.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back in and play again! I HAVE to see this rope climb and treasure screen!

I'll post a screenshot when I do it. :cool:

Wow! I never knew this. I just figured Pitfall 2 went on indefinetly.

Gonna have to bust out my RSI 5200 digital stick and plan to spend some time with 5200 Pitfall 2, I guess... because this is something neat I had NO idea about.

I love this site. :D

By all means, do make one. I found regular walkthrus, and clearly the 2nd maze is exclusive to the 5200.

Although, a lot of it is just going to be learning how to time the enemies. Those crazy bats are TOUGH... but everything gets rough on the 2nd maze.

By all means, do make one. I found regular walkthrus, and clearly the 2nd maze is exclusive to the 5200.

Although, a lot of it is just going to be learning how to time the enemies. Those crazy bats are TOUGH... but everything gets rough on the 2nd maze.

The "Rabid Bats" are tough, until you get used to the rhythm of their movement. You can either jump over them (preferred by me) as they swoop down, or run under them when they jump up.

What I do, is wait a third of the way into the screen, and wait for the bat to appear. When I see what it is doing, I can either time my jump, or simply turn back and leave the screen, then come back to wait for a better opportunity.

Heh. When I got done with the first maze, I was so shocked to think there was another whole maze in front of me, I went to hit Pause on the keypad, and hit Reset by mistake... :(

Too bad Crane didn't think of "cheat codes", so that once you got past the first maze, it would give you a code you could enter to warp past it directly to the 2nd maze.

Might be something for a homebrew-er to hack. Take the two mazes apart or make a warp ROM image so you can bypass the first one and go directly to the second maze?

Or even have a training mode (heh... disable sprite collision routines on those damn rabid bats!)

I DID IT!!!!

Perfect score!

504,000 :cool: :cool:

I was starting to think that I could never do it (the frogs that chase you were by far my biggest problem!)

The entire game took 33 minutes, 21 seconds. I reached Quickclaw at 11:43, the second maze took me 21:38 to complete.

post-2095-1155874700_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 5th ghost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1