IGNORED

Pole Position with the UltraRacer PC

nems

Years ago I read about the UltraRacer PC in this thread. Since I already had a home-built PC joystick to 5200 adapter, I decided to pick up the UltraRacer PC when I later found it at a surplus store for $5.99. After hooking it up to my 5200, I became annoyed with the paddle's self-centering feature. I also didn't like the paddle's limited turn radius of only 90 degrees (45 degrees to the left or right of center). I still preferred a standard 5200 modded paddle controller when playing Kaboom!, SuperBreakout or Castle Crisis. Disapointed, I boxed up the UltraRacer and put it into storage. Ya see, I didn't own Pole Position back then (*cue dramatic music*).

Last week I decided to hook up the UltraRacer for one last test before taking it to Goodwill. Sure enough, it still couldn't compare to the standard 5200 paddle until I put in Pole Position. Wow! What a revelation. The UltraRacer PC absolutely shines as a Pole Position controller (Duh, I guess it should considering it is called "UltraRacer" and was designed specifically for driving games on the PC). The self centering paddle allows one to actually let go of the wheel during straight sections of the road. Since you can feel the center of your wheel, you are less likely to over steer when coming out of a turn (something that I tend to do a lot when using the standard 5200 paddle mod).

The UltraRacer PC is now my favorite controller when playing Pole Position. I am so glad I didn't send it off to Goodwill.

Remember, to hook up the UltraRacer you need a PC analog joystick to 5200 adapter (either home built or the PC Redemption adapter that AtariAge used to sell). See section 6.4 of the FAQ if you want to build the PC to 5200 adapter yourself (it is easy, really).

ultra2.jpg

Above, the UltraRacer PC by InterAct.

Edited by nems

Here's the relevant portion from the InterAct documentation: ;)

Thank you for choosing the "UltraRacer PC" as your Pole Position driving controller for use with the Atari 5200. Here's how to get set up and start racing!

Connect the end of the UltraRacer's cable (see Fig. 5) via "PC joystick to 5200 adapter" to your 5200.

Set the mode to type I (see Fig. 2)

Insert the Pole Postion cartridge into the Atari 5200 and power it on.

Adjust the x-axis trimmer (see Fig. 8 ) so that your car is centered on the screen when the paddle is in the center position.

Adjust the y-axis trimmer so that the trigger (see Fig. 4) configures to which ever one of the following you prefer:

- Pulled is low gear, released is high gear.

- Pulled is low gear, pushed is high gear.

- Released is low gear, pushed is high gear.

Push button A to accelerate and B to brake (see Fig 3). Buttons C and D are not used.

Remember to drive safe and drive smart. Alcohol and racing don't mix.

ultra.jpg Edited by nems