IGNORED

The definitive list of ALL simultaneous multiplayer games?

godzillajoe

For the 2600, is this all the game that both players are on screen doing stuff at once?

Turn based games like Checkers or 3-D Tic Tac Toe were omitted because you can't do anything until your opponent does first

This also excludes unreleased prototypes, name variations for the Sears carts and PAL games

Air-Sea Battle

Armor Ambush

Atlantis

Basketball

Bee-Ball

Boxing

Breakout

Canyon Bomber

Combat

Demolition Herby

Demons To Diamonds

Dodge'em

Double Dragon

Double Dunk

Dragster

Entombed

Fall Down

Fishing Derby

Football

Flap Ping

Freeway

Frogs and Flies

G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike

Go Fish!

Gunfight

Guardian

Home Run

Ice Hockey

Indy 500

International Soccer

Joust

Karate

M-4 (2005 Minigame Multicart)

M.A.D.

M*A*S*H

Marble Craze

Mario Bros

Maze Craze

Medieval Mayhem

Motorodeo

Oink

Outlaw

Party Mix

Pele's Soccer

Pete Rose Baseball

Phantom II

Quick Step

Racquetball

Rampage

RealSports Baseball

RealSports Boxing

RealSports Football

RealSports Tennis

RealSports Soccer

RealSports Volleyball

Sky Diver

Slot Racers

Space Invaders

Space War

Sprintmaster

Starship

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Steeplechase

Stella's Stocking (Grandma's Revenge, Cold War games)

Street Racer

Summer Games (certain events)

Super Baseball

Super Challenge Baseball

Super Challenge Football

Superman

Surround

Swordfight

Sync (Me First! game option)

Tennis

Thunderground

Title Match Pro Wrestling

Track And Field

Video Olympics

Warlords

Warring Worms

Warring Worms: The Worm Returns

Winter Games (certain events)

Wizard Of Wor

Worm War I

Edited by godzillajoe

Excellent list, though incomplete. I can think of 5 off the top of my head:

Dodge'Em, game 3. Player 1 is the car, Player 2 is the "crash car" simultaneously (with the 2 roles reversing after each life)

Oink!, game 3. Player 1 is the pig, Player 2 is the wolf simultaneously (with the 2 roles reversing after each life)

Summer Games and Winter Games have events (swimming and speedskating are 2 of them) with some events that feature 2 player simultaneous gameplay.

Demons to Diamonds has 2 player simultaneous paddle gameplay.

Any other omissions?

Edited by 128bytes

Superman is weird because one joystick controllers the left/right movements and one controls up/down.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Sounds like a mess to actually play it that way. But I'll add it.

G.I. Joe and Atlantis as well.

Edited by godzillajoe

Demon Attack has a variation where control of one ship alternates every few seconds between two players. Novel idea.

Here's an obscure variation...Star Ship has a 2 player lunar lander game where one player is the lander and the other player moves the moon trying to avoid the lander. Control alternates every few seconds when the colors change. Sometimes we'd laugh so hard playing this one, we'd have to take a rest between games! LOL

Edited by D.Yancey

Demon Attack has a variation where control of one ship alternates every few seconds between two players. Novel idea.

Here's an obscure variation...Star Ship has a 2 player lunar lander game where one player is the lander and the other player moves the moon trying to avoid the lander. Control alternates every few seconds when the colors change. Sometimes we'd laugh so hard playing this one, we'd have to take a rest between games! LOL

Thanks. I didn't add these though because you take turns doing stuff. Technically you're not playing at the same time. Anyone disagree?

no, you missed his explanation. you are both in control at the same time (Star ship.) it just swops between one player controller the moon and one player controlling the ship, if you understand. so you are always both playing at the same time, but what you are controlling changes. this is also true in the two player modes of star ship where player one is controlling the target and player two is controlling the ship that the target is trying to destroy. as a matter of fact, all of star ships two player modes are full simultaneous.

Thanks. I didn't add these though because you take turns doing stuff. Technically you're not playing at the same time. Anyone disagree?

I can somewhat understand your reasoning here, but I think that unlike Chess and Checkers, you actually are playing at the same time since you can't exactly take off and make a sandwich or something. So I guess this is one of those border line ones -- do you include games where both players are actively involved, or games where both players are actually controlling sprites at the same time?

I remember playing this one -- it was a lot of fun. Of course it would always end up that you would purposely steer the ship into an impossible situation for the other to get out of once his turn came around...

I did note one that you missed on your list: Super Breakout has a two-player version.

~G

OK I added Starship and M*A*S*H.

What variations of Demon Attack and Super Breakout allow for two player simultaneous?

I'll have to check out the manuals in the mean-time.

My idea for this list was all two player games where BOTH can do things at the same time without waiting for another player to finish his "turn"

Classic example is Mario Bros. One guy is Mario and one is Luigi and they're both doing something at any given time, independent of what the other guy is doing.

I didn't understand the Starship explanation but I get it now.

In Demon Attack, if you both control the cannon but alternate turns every few seconds, I wouldn't really count that.

The 3-player and 4-player game variations of Breakout have two players playing at the same time. Each paddle's range is half the playfield.

Super Breakout does not have any simultaneous play. The players alternate in all 2-player game variations.

Edited by skunkworx

The 3-player and 4-player game variations of Breakout have two players playing at the same time. Each paddle's range is half the playfield.

Super Breakout does not have any simultaneous play. The players alternate in all 2-player game variations.

You know, I remember playing it and I thought that it was Breakout, but I couldn't find a reference to it. I did find a reference to a two-player game in Super Breakout, and assumed that must be it. I stand corrected!

~G

• 1 year later...
Superman is weird because one joystick controllers the left/right movements and one controls up/down.

I used to play Spindizzy on the C= 64 with a friend. It used the same control method for 2 players and was a blast.

Bumping this one just for kicks after adding Bee-Ball and Stella's Stocking Did I get them all yet?

Medieval Mayhem