IGNORED

Death Derby?

sandmountainslim

I don't consider it abandoned. Just perpetually put on hold.

I should have worked on it over the summer but I got swept up in the startup company I'm working for. Lots of overtime. Weekends are mostly spent resting.

Now I'm getting more involved with the Chimera project which seems like a higher priority item than DD, and requires less meticulous coding on my part. I'm acting more as a producer and tester vs. Delicon's engineering role. The project scales well to my skillset and free time.

I've privately emailed a couple people about passing the torch to them but so far no bites. There really isn't that much work left to do to get it to the point where it has as much functionality as the coinop.

If someone is serious about finishing it, contact me. I don't feel I have to be the guy to finish DD, but I would definitely like to see it get finished one way or another. My involvement in Chimera is enough of a merit badge for me.

BTW, the rights to the Exidy catalog have not fallen into limbo the way I thought. Curt cut a deal with the owner of the IP for his Awecade. I'm not sure just changing the name is enough to protect me. But then again, look at all the other projects out there that are analogous, such as Medieval Mayhem or Leprechaun.

Edited by mos6507

• 2 years later...

Thanks!

You are right about Zombie Chase :) It is alot like Death Derby/Death Race and alot of fun.......in fact it should be CALLED Death Race.

Wp

Post Scriptum:

I have been playing Zombie Chase for the past hour and it is awesome!

When the score starts blinking and you must run over 300 points more zombies before the timer runs out it gets a bit hectic.

I like the "ice level" later in the game.

Edited by sandmountainslim

• 3 months later...

I spent alot of quarters on Death Race back in 1977 at a bowling alley. I have a video of the arcade game which someone made for me a few years back. Damn game needs to be ported to the Vectrex and use the driving controller in conjunction with the pedal controller.

Rob

Last year I had the priveledge of actually playing an original Death Race arcade machine. That was sweet! If someone can complete the Death Derby project, I would be eternally grateful.