IGNORED

Tower Toppler almost ready!

_Fandal_

Hi all!

Well, it seems I'm almost ready to release file version of Tower Toppler proto cart. Though I haven't tested all levels, it looks very promissing. All known bugs are fixed (even missing animation - see the second screenshot) and it works fine on my real machines (tested on 130XE and 320XE Rambo). Now I want to make the last step. What about adding some colours to the main screen? Tower Toppler logo looks really very ugly in B/W but using some changes in DLIST it can be changed very easy from ANTIC mode F to E (see the first screenshot). So... Any proposals for colour combination? I'm not gfx man so I need some proposals from you! The best one will be implemented to the final version. :) There's G2F file with imported screenshot if you care...

F.

post-5049-1160502730_thumb.jpg

post-5049-1160502743_thumb.jpg

TT.zip

Hi all!

Well, it seems I'm almost ready to release file version of Tower Toppler proto cart. Though I haven't tested all levels, it looks very promissing. All known bugs are fixed (even missing animation - see the second screenshot) and it works fine on my real machines (tested on 130XE and 320XE Rambo). Now I want to make the last step. What about adding some colours to the main screen? Tower Toppler logo looks really very ugly in B/W but using some changes in DLIST it can be changed very easy from ANTIC mode F to E (see the first screenshot). So... Any proposals for colour combination? I'm not gfx man so I need some proposals from you! The best one will be implemented to the final version. :) There's G2F file with imported screenshot if you care...

F.

If you want a simple but effective one take a look at countdown by me and i think Dropzone used the same if i remember correct. Just use's PMG to overlay colours onto the title and look quite ok for little effort.

Here's my attempt at the logo. It would require GR.9 mode to show all the colours, plus two missiles for the 'W' letter. Also the bottom 3 lines of text use a different shade of gray to make the screen a bit less flat.

Sorry, the previous version wasn't doable (the background behind the letters must be darker). I also fixed a small issue at 'E' in TOPPLER, which was already in the original :)

post-6830-1160523009_thumb.png

ah forget it... ;) i thought its highres...should have had a look on the zoomed screenshots more closer... ;)

but i hate TT in the 800 version as they used antic f instead to use the c64 (original) approach or is the c64 version highres as well? i can not remember...

it looks like they tried to use artifacting for more colours but i doubt that.... hewson was an english company so they do not know about that... NTSC effect... ;)

What's wrong with using Tower Toppler? It's the US name, not something unofficial...

All is wrong about that name. The guy who wrote it called it "Nebulus", period.

And what's with that ugly b/w screenshot? From the Spectrum version?

I wouldn't change its name. It was released as Tower Toppler on ST and I think Atari had the same idea with A8 version.

Fandal,

Can you give us a patched XEGS rom, with the animation fixed?

If you care I'll release fixed ROM as well.

F.

I wouldn't change its name. It was released as Tower Toppler on ST and I think Atari had the same idea with A8 version.

The original name of the game is Nebulus. It was released on Europe on all the the platforms, including the ST, as Nebulus. At that time is was very common to change the name of the games across the Atlantic. So it was released as Tower Toppler in the US; again, in all the platforms including the ST.

I'm not arguing for one name or the other. Just mentioning the background for both names.

I played it earlier on.

Bad graphics, sluggish control, slow gameplay, poor sound and you have to be right over the doors to go through the other side.

Plus, it glitched out near the top of the first level.

They should have just gone with multicolour graphics at lower resolution - monochrome games just look "cheap".

Well,

a friend of mine played Nebulus on the ST quite often, so TT was very easy for him (but he only made it to tower number two, after that the game crashed)... Besides, there was a story told on comp.sys.atari.8bit by the author himself. He got the order to program TT for Atari - the 7800 version and the 8Bit version. He finished the 7800 version, but when he got no more money from Atari, he stopped the 8Bit version - meaning he did not fully finish it. Besides, he told that although he was a Brit, he only had a NTSC Atari 8Bit at that time and he wanted to keep the resolution of the 7800, thats why he used Gr.8 with artefacting on the XL... Well, I do not know if the story is true, so you may believe it or not... -Andreas Magenheimer.

OK.

Here's fixed Tower Toppler cart image.

List of chages:

1) removed annoying gray (probably debug) line

2) fixed wrong animation of enemy

3) fixed length of jumps (one more pixel) so levels 6 and 8 can be finished now.

I had to change only 10 bytes in original cart image and another 16 bytes were added to solve some problems with missing animation...

F.

TT.zip

The original name of the game is Nebulus. It was released on Europe on all the the platforms, including the ST, as Nebulus. At that time is was very common to change the name of the games across the Atlantic. So it was released as Tower Toppler in the US; again, in all the platforms including the ST.

I would prefer "Nebulus" since that is the original name of the game.