IGNORED

Colecovision ADAM replacement power supply?

Pulling hte power supply from teh printer is pretty straight forward if memory serves me-- undoing some screws and pulling a few connectors-- the final Power Uspply only unit should be the grey exposed bard you see int eh back of the printer, and it's attached power boards inside.

Yes, removing the PS from the printer was the easy part. I tried again using a PC power supply, and the Adam does power up and will load DDPs/disks but the screen output is corrupted. Has anyone else tried a PC power supply? I'm using an EXP#3 Adam btw, not the standalone.

I also powered the Adam by unplugging the 'printer' power supply and using the CVs power supply attached to the CV itself. The Adam does power up correctly (no screen garbage) but the DDP capstans rotate in opposite directions while trying to boot a DDP. Not very useful! :lol:

I'm also a bit wary of trying to power the Adam with a CV power supply (even if I do get a standalone ADAM console), as I don't know the current draw of the Adam.

Edited by remowilliams

Pulling hte power supply from teh printer is pretty straight forward if memory serves me-- undoing some screws and pulling a few connectors-- the final Power Uspply only unit should be the grey exposed bard you see int eh back of the printer, and it's attached power boards inside.

Yes, removing the PS from the printer was the easy part. I tried again using a PC power supply, and the Adam does power up and will load DDPs/disks but the screen output is corrupted. Has anyone else tried a PC power supply? I'm using an EXP#3 Adam btw, not the standalone.

I also powered the Adam by unplugging the 'printer' power supply and using the CVs power supply attached to the CV itself. The Adam does power up correctly (no screen garbage) but the DDP capstans rotate in opposite directions while trying to boot a DDP. Not very useful! :lol:

I'm also a bit wary of trying to power the Adam with a CV power supply (even if I do get a standalone ADAM console), as I don't know the current draw of the Adam.

Don't be too worried about it actually-- either search here, or check ecoleco.com-- Ecoleco sells the adam main unit as the "adam game system" with the colecovision powersupply in their catalog. So, I'd presume it's fairly safe. There was also a thread on these very forums talking about it a while back. The 2 tricks are simply splitting hte 4 wires to the right 4 of 9 pins on the Adam CPU, and wiring in a power switch. Good luck! (damn, my typing is going to hell! lol)

Murph

Don't be too worried about it actually-- either search here, or check ecoleco.com-- Ecoleco sells the adam main unit as the "adam game system" with the colecovision powersupply in their catalog. So, I'd presume it's fairly safe. There was also a thread on these very forums talking about it a while back. The 2 tricks are simply splitting hte 4 wires to the right 4 of 9 pins on the Adam CPU, and wiring in a power switch. Good luck! (damn, my typing is going to hell! lol)

Murph

The reason why it's called the "Adam Game System" is because it can only provide enough power for the cartridge port. If you try to use the data pack drives or any other peripherals, it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, only the Adam power supply in the printer or a true equivalent can correctly supply the system as anything but a stock ColecoVision.

The reason why it's called the "Adam Game System" is because it can only provide enough power for the cartridge port. If you try to use the data pack drives or any other peripherals, it doesn't work properly. Unfortunately, only the Adam power supply in the printer or a true equivalent can correctly supply the system as anything but a stock ColecoVision.

Actually, I happen to own a modded CV power supply (for use with the stand-alone Adam Memory Console, obviously, not the Expansion Module #3), and it powers a little bit more than just the cartridge port. You can press the reset button and access the built-in SmartWRITER, and the keyboard fully works! The tape drives don't work, and since there's no printer, there's no point in using a word processor, but it makes me wonder if software on a CV cartridge could access the Adam's 64K of RAM. Also, with this setup, one can use the monitor-type output instead of the crummy standard RF.

Also, about eColeco, I wouldn't order their "Adam Game Power Supply", because all their power supplies have rusted prongs. They work, but they're not exactly "reassuring". doubledown made a couple of modded power supplies for me (he even added an ON/OFF switch on the wire, which eColeco's PSs don't have) and they work great. :)

It stuns me that after all this time and all this desire from nearly every Adam user I've ever known, no one has taken it upon themselves to offer custom power supplies any more. I realize the Adam market is quite small relative to most other classic systems, but there nevertheless IS a market for such a thing. Once the custom power supply supply dried up a few years back, I haven't seen a single one since. I know I'd certainly bring my system out more if I didn't have to deal with the printer all the time. Again, this is a true oddity and a quirk of the Adam community, especially considering all the amazing homebrew hardware projects made for countless other systems, popular or otherwise...

That's what I was figuring. Though my CV supply did power the DDPs on passthrough, they just turn in the wrong directions! :D

Anyone know the reason why a regular (switching type) PC power supply doesn't seem to work properly?

Anyone know the reason why a regular (switching type) PC power supply doesn't seem to work properly?

Just a guess hre as I'm no engineer-- but the CV powersupply pin sout as such:

1 .+5VDC .9A

2.-5VDC .1A

3.+12VDC .3A

4.Ground

The PC Power supply look s alittle more like this:

* 3.3 volts

* 5 volts

* 12 volts

Which means... you're missing your -5 volt line on newer power supplies (the white wire by standards IIRC). Googling the -5v comes up with this--

-5 V: A now archaic voltage, -5 V was used on some of the earliest PCs for floppy controllers and other circuits used by ISA bus cards. It is usually provided, in small quantity (generally less than 1A), for compatibility with older hardware. Some form factor power supplies such as the SFX no longer bother to supply it (systems using the SFX power supply are intended not to have ISA bus slots).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In relation to the switching power supply, the load may be the issue, not just the neg 5v-- also googled:

Power supplies in today's computers are known as SWITCHMODE or Switching Mode power supplies and require a load to continue to operate after being switched on (the term switching mode actually applies to the technique of A/C to D/C conversion and not to the power up action). This load is provided by a 10 watt, 10 ohm wire wound load resistor (sandbar - about $0.80 at Radio Shack) across the +5 volt supply (in this project). Some inexpensive power supplies may fail if forced on without a load. The sandbar has been zip tied to the case with a small amount of heat sink compound applied. Without cooling, the resistor will get very hot and may fail prematurely. With this arrangement, the resistor will remain barely warm to the touch.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

So, I'm concluding the neg 5 is your main issue.. at least on using the CV power supply... but you were talking about using the Adam portion of things-- I'm looking at similar power requirements according to the Adam Technical Manual. They're as follows:

The printer/console interface cable consists of 7 insulated wires and one uninsulated drain wire.

Pin Color Voltage/Description

1 Brown +12L VDC + 0.508 V

- 0.6 V

2 Red +12I VDC + 0.497 V

- 0.6 V

3 Orange +5.075 VDC + 0.079 V

- 0.255 V

4 Yellow -5.15 VDC + 0.25 V

5 Green Ground

6 Blue AdamNet

7 Violet Reset

8 -- Drain

9 -- No wire

Power Supply Output to CPU (via Printer/Memory Console Interface Cable)

Voltage Full Load Current

+5V 2.75 A

-5V 0.2 A

+12VI 0.6 A

+12VL 0.3 A

+5V Main source of power to the CPU.

-5V Supplies power to the CPU.

+12VI Supplies power to drive the inductive loads such as carriage motor, daisy wheel motor, print solenoid, platen motor, and digital data drive

+12VL Supplies power to the system logic.

-=-=-=-=

These notes lead me to believe the answer to your PC question lies in the use of VI and VL voltages.... if only I were techie enough to explain the differences. :)

Next, please! :)

IF memory serves me correctly, when we used an AT power supply to power 4 ADAM's at once at ADAMCON 14, it wouldn't work until we added in a hard drive. The power supply would not power up correctly with just the :D ADAM's operational load, it needed the physical spin up of the hard drive to put it into full power mode. Way back when, users used a 200watt power supply from the XT or 286 machines to run the ADAM becasue it supplied full power continually at the same rate.

:D

I wish I knew a bit more about power supplies.

I tried adding a hard drive or two to the PC power supply to generate load (although the PS does stay on when just connected to the Adam). Same results, sort of works but the video output is garbled, and the games play completely out of whack. i.e. Mario can run right off the left of the screen an appear on the right - so it's not just 'picture' problem.

post-5887-1161653715_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1161653727_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1161653734_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1161653742_thumb.jpg

The PS is supplying proper +5/-5/+12 output. Though I too was wondering about that 12L/12I distinction in the Adam tech manual.

I wonder too if this has anything to do with this being an 'EXP3' Adam vs. the standalone...

I wish I knew a bit more about power supplies.

I tried adding a hard drive or two to the PC power supply to generate load (although the PS does stay on when just connected to the Adam). Same results, sort of works but the video output is garbled, and the games play completely out of whack. i.e. Mario can run right off the left of the screen an appear on the right - so it's not just 'picture' problem.

The 4116 video RAM chips require -5 volts to operate properly. If you don't have -5 volt power, that could cause video problems.

The 4116 video RAM chips require -5 volts to operate properly. If you don't have -5 volt power, that could cause video problems.

I know the power supply is providing a steady -5V at the input (Adam side) under load, don't know the current but you'd think it would be sufficient. I'll try to get a hold of an older PS, and maybe as a last resort take everything apart and measure the voltage at the chips.

When I attached a keyboard/floppy to the Adam the problem seemed to have become much worse. Maybe it is a current problem. Grrr...

It stuns me that after all this time and all this desire from nearly every Adam user I've ever known, no one has taken it upon themselves to offer custom power supplies any more. I realize the Adam market is quite small relative to most other classic systems, but there nevertheless IS a market for such a thing. Once the custom power supply supply dried up a few years back, I haven't seen a single one since. I know I'd certainly bring my system out more if I didn't have to deal with the printer all the time. Again, this is a true oddity and a quirk of the Adam community, especially considering all the amazing homebrew hardware projects made for countless other systems, popular or otherwise...

Back in the late 80’s or 90’s I use to sale a top of the line power supply for the Adam called the S.M. Video power supply. It was an IBM style power supply that used the printer style cord and it powered the Adam with a built in fan in the power supply. It contained a jack in the side of the power supply that powered up the Adam printer without using the power supply in the Adam printer. For those that still wanted to use that noisy thing. I still own one of these power supplies. Basically I purchased around 6 high end IBM style power supplies back then and paid a technician to place an Adam cord on the thing and he also installed some type of voltage regulator in the thing to provide proper -5 volts. Then he installed an Adam printer interface connector for people to attach there Adam printer to. This power supply was top of the line and I think NIAD might have done a brief review on it. I think I only sold one which was disappointing to me. People did not want to spend $65 or so on a high end power supply that powered the Adam printer when they could buy a Coleco printer power supply for $20 or less. I ended up sending these power supplies to an Adam Convention when I closed down the business that was not profitable.

Perhaps if I could have purchased the power supplies in higher volume and then made the modifications myself I could have provided it at a better price. The technician charged $20 to modify each power supply and then there was shipping in both directions. Selling them around $65 was close to my cost. There just was not that much interest and it happen to be the best power supply solution for the Adam that even powered the printer.

The people that spent between $600-$800 for their Adam computers were willing to buy things like hard drives for $200+ and other add on hardware. The people that purchased the Adam for around $199 for the complete system were less willing to spend money on hardware accessories.

The Best third party developer for the Adam was Mark Gordan at Micro Innovations. He developed 1Meg memory expanders, 1.44Meg 3 ½” Floppies, hard drives, dual serial and parallel interfaces, etc. His products were top on the line in quality. I wish he would design some more items for the Adam. Everything I own from Micro Innovations still works. Much more reliable then Coleco.

I stopped following the Adam market past the 1990’s. Did anyone or any company make any hardware or power supplies for the Adam past the year 1994 or 1995?

I wasn't aware of any after-market power supplies at all for the Adam-- I kind of think that is what this thread is turning into-- how to make an Adam power supply from current parts. I still think an AT power supply should be up to the job with minimal changes, but again-- my technical prowess is lacking in that area.

The only thing I'm aware of that powered a fully functioning Adam (until your post HDTV) was the Coleco Adam printer, or the Coleco power board removed from the printer as sold by MW Ruth.

Any suggestions on perfecting a homebrew power supply guys?

I wasn't aware of any after-market power supplies at all for the Adam-- I kind of think that is what this thread is turning into-- how to make an Adam power supply from current parts. I still think an AT power supply should be up to the job with minimal changes, but again-- my technical prowess is lacking in that area.

The only thing I'm aware of that powered a fully functioning Adam (until your post HDTV) was the Coleco Adam printer, or the Coleco power board removed from the printer as sold by MW Ruth.

Any suggestions on perfecting a homebrew power supply guys?

Well, I'd say the problem I'm having definitely seems to be related to the -5V line. I don't know if its a linear (original Adam PS) vs switching (modern PS) problem, or simply a current supply problem though. If someone had some info on how to build a little DC voltage inverter, maybe I could try flipping one of the +5V feeds as they surely supply far more current. I know the basics of something like that but not enough to just design one.

Or maybe the -5V line needs smoothing or something. Someone with more PS knowledge than me is required here I think. Damn, so close. :D

Well, with so little response, I've called in the troops... I'll let you know if and when the distress call is heard. :)

Cross your fingers... I couldn't find the A-Team, but think I got contact info on the next best thing in alphabetical order... :)

Murph

Well, with so little response, I've called in the troops... I'll let you know if and when the distress call is heard. :)

Well, hopefully someone knows the answer. I'm pretty sure you should be able to power the Adam with a modern switching PS, it probably just needs a little bit of help :)

Well, hopefully someone knows the answer. I'm pretty sure you should be able to power the Adam with a modern switching PS, it probably just needs a little bit of help :)

And the man with the plan is looking at it as of earlier today. I know we got some techie types on here, but they haven't spoken up yet. So, I'm in conversation with Ben Heckendorn about helping us resolve this. :)

If we can indeed find a logical, useable solution, there's quite a few Adam CPU's that will find homes rather quickly I think! :)

Murph

If we can indeed find a logical, useable solution, there's quite a few Adam CPU's that will find homes rather quickly I think! :)

If a solution is found, count me among those who will buy one of those nice power supplies. I may even buy two or three! :D

EDIT: There's one issue you need to keep in mind: If you're planning to use a 9-pin female connector to connect the new PS to the ADAM Memory Console, such a standard 9-pin connector will not fit in the Memory Console without some force applied. Either a piece of plastic on the Memory Console's casing will need to be removed above the port, or the plastic (or metal) casing around the female connector will need to be stripped away. Just one of those nagging details...

Edited by Pixelboy

So, I'm in conversation with Ben Heckendorn about helping us resolve this. :)

Thats good, because I still haven't quite got it yet ;)

EDIT: There's one issue you need to keep in mind: If you're planning to use a 9-pin female connector to connect the new PS to the ADAM Memory Console, such a standard 9-pin connector will not fit in the Memory Console without some force applied.

I just used half of a 9 pin joystick extension cord. That part works like a charm, no force needed.

Oh and here's a pic of my current very special custom housed Adam printer power supply.

post-5887-1162430297_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Ewww-- Maxtor! :roll: *That* should make it more reliable. lol Just kidding..

Ben emailed back, and suggested the amperage on the Coleco PS vs the PC PS. Also, he said we may want to o ahead and look at the -5 inverter he used on the coleco portable. So far jsut suggestions, no resolutions yet.

Now i'm wishing I had my Adam back for testing!

Hello. Here is the voltage inverter I used on my Coleco portable:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dk...382&Site=US

This is a pretty simple IC, you put +5 into it, -5 comes out. Requires a few caps, resistors and a coil/inductor. It worked for the Colecovision, should work for the Adam (assuming the -5 is used for the same thing, being the memory I believe)

The PC PSU I had laying around downstairs reads .120mA as the current on the -5VDC. This might not be enough to run the memory correctly. While the switcher mentioned above probably doesn't source a whole lot more (current) maybe only a little more is what you need.

Perhaps there's some homebrew circuits for voltage inverters on the web? Flip the +5 and a PC PSU should run a Coleco.

To power up an ATX PSU, short out PS_ON and GND on the connector. Use the diagram below for reference.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...=image&cd=3

If you have any questions you can email me at benjamin.heckendorn@gmail.com

-Ben H

• 1 month later...

Well, some good news on my 'ditch the monstrous power supply' quest. I finally got the time to refurb the standalone Adam here, and it seems to work quite well with my PC power supply.

CV mode works fine, as does Adam mode along with AdamNet and the floppy drive, and even the DDP functions correctly. Woohoo! :D

The composite video out from the monitor port seems a tad weaker than with the original CV PS, but I think I can easily live with that.

Do you know if there is a small, laptop power supply that puts out the same voltages? If it was small enough it could be installed inside the CV or ADAM.

Most laptop power supplies typically only produce a single higher voltage that is transformed inside the laptop into the various voltages needed.

A small PC power supply might be a possibility for mounting inside the ADAM. The problem will likely be the -5V line.

I'm going to measure the current draw on the three power lines while the ADAM is going full bore, and see what's needed.