IGNORED

Turbo / Atari 2600

xybot67

Just wish Tempest had access to other locked away prototypes ;)

Sorry, this is the only review I've been sitting on. I don't have any other secret prototype reviews.

Tempest

No Tempest I didn't mean you were sitting on any. I am just talking about the roms that are in the hands of private collectors that you have not yet seen ;)

great review, by the way. really good looking proto, too. personally, I'm glad it's paddles. Hope we all get to play it one day.

It's not paddles. It's joystick-controlled.

Correct, although the paddle code is apparently still in the game. I'm not sure if it's possible to activate it, or if doing so will cause timing issues.

Tempest

great review, by the way. really good looking proto, too. personally, I'm glad it's paddles. Hope we all get to play it one day.

It's not paddles. It's joystick-controlled.

Correct, although the paddle code is apparently still in the game. I'm not sure if it's possible to activate it, or if doing so will cause timing issues.

Tempest

I think it would be cool with the driving controllers. Hell, so would Pole Position and Enduro for that matter.

I think it would be cool with the driving controllers. Hell, so would Pole Position and Enduro for that matter.

You only need to move left and right within a certain range for all of these games, so the paddle controller would work just fine with them. In that regard, the paddle controllers are more similar to a real steering wheel than the "driving" controllers. Also, it's my understanding that the driving controllers don't have near the resolution of paddle controllers, so I'm not really sure how well they'd work for something like Turbo, Pole Position or Enduro.

..Al

You only need to move left and right within a certain range for all of these games, so the paddle controller would work just fine with them. In that regard, the paddle controllers are more similar to a real steering wheel than the "driving" controllers.

And the paddles could be used like a steering wheel. The more you move it out of center, the more you steer into that direction. So the position of the paddle results into a relative position change instead of resulting into an absolute position.

But AFAIK no 2600 game has utilized them that way.

Also, it's my understanding that the driving controllers don't have near the resolution of paddle controllers, so I'm not really sure how well they'd work for something like Turbo, Pole Position or Enduro.

Just 16 positions/full rotation. The paddle has a way higher resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

If this has already been talked about, sorry. I'd like to hear from the programmer, if possible, the difficulties in translating this to the 2600 from the original version. I know the guy who programmed Turbo, which was in fact, if you guys didn't know, the first scrolling racer ever designed. I'm curious how he translated some of its features to the 2600 and if he got to look at the original game at all.

It's first-person, yeah, but not sprite scaling. At any rate, I'm curious if the programmer had any contact with the original source code. If he did, I'd like to know about it to add data to my interview.

Edited by Stan

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering.....has any progress been made with this? Any chance of getting a public release of the binary (even in an unfinished form) anytime soon? Turbo was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day, and I always wanted it for the 2600 back then.

And as a small aside, for anyone living in or around the New Jersey area.... I was playing an actual sit-down arcade Turbo a few days ago. At the Jersey shore, in Seaside Heights, in one of the 2 boardwalk arcades that has a merry-go-round in it, they have a separate arcade area that's called Flashbacks..... Turbo, Asteroids, Q-Bert, Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Tempest, Centipede, Star Wars, etc.....a whole bunch of the old classics.

Just wondering.....has any progress been made with this? Any chance of getting a public release of the binary (even in an unfinished form) anytime soon? Turbo was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day, and I always wanted it for the 2600 back then.

And as a small aside, for anyone living in or around the New Jersey area.... I was playing an actual sit-down arcade Turbo a few days ago. At the Jersey shore, in Seaside Heights, in one of the 2 boardwalk arcades that has a merry-go-round in it, they have a separate arcade area that's called Flashbacks..... Turbo, Asteroids, Q-Bert, Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Tempest, Centipede, Star Wars, etc.....a whole bunch of the old classics.

It is still being worked on......sorry for the delay.... :)

Sounds like I need to go to NJ next week for my vacation. ^_^

Sounds like a nice arcade! I've been playing Turbo in MAME lately. While not a substitute for the real thing, it's still great to revisit that game - it was one of my favorites when it came out. I had barely touched MAME in years, but all the talk of the 2600 Turbo prototype got me interested in the original again. ;)