IGNORED

XL/XE compatible Atari 800?

Tempest

I've been lurking on these forums for awhile; this the first time I've posted...

I am definitely interested in at least 1 of these. I still prefer using the 800; I was planning on trying to hack my own XL personality board but this is so much better with the built-in I/O and all the other features that there is no point in trying to make something like that myself. It would be a steal at $150 considering the amount of labor that went into designing it.

I will commit to two. I agree with the comment above that this is the main electronic upgrade that this small Atari community has been waiting for.

It may be because Atari 800 machines are more plentiful in the US. I could see this being less popular in Europe where the later Ataris were more readily available.

Honestly, if they were $100 each, I'd consider buying 5 or more. Not because I want them, but because in the years I've been reading these forums, I've noticed a trend. It goes like this:

- Neat hardware item is produced in a limited run. Bunches of members jump in at the right time and maybe a dozen or two get produced.

- Several people read the thread too late, sometimes months too late. They want in, but the build of the hardware is done.

- Several new members, new collectors, or collectors shifting to another system take an interest in the forums, read about the neat hardware, and ask around if anyone is selling their device or if someone can ever put together another run.

- Sometimes a new run is produced, sometime it isn't.

- Nobody ever seems to produce any spares for sale in an online store or informally to other collectors.

At $100 each, I'd consider buying the spares and offering them at a markup to latecomers. I would think an online store like AtariMax or Video 61 would be interested in something like this too.

I am hopefully gonna remedy this... my sio2pc-usb in a sio hood, i got 40 initial orders, recv'd 20 more as they were being built, and 10 in the last month or so... but ordered 100 PCB's for them... I still have all but the FTDI and SIO conns for those 30, which are a simple 5day orders...

Same with VBXE, 20 were ordered but i have the PCB's for ~40 of them... once I am doing building/shipping the pre-paid ones, i will build/sell the extras and order more parts as needed to continue selling...

I am trying to get to the point so that anything I build, I will continue to build while there is atleast 'some' interest...

sloopy.

Sloopy, you may be the exception that proves the rule.

I missed the VBXE thread (I was too busy working on Kinect to notice the forum posts when the original run was being produced) and I missed the boat on that device alltogether, just like probably half of the others that now want one did.

I'd love to order a VBXE from you, but I get the impression that you might be hit by lighting at any point. You seem to have an ongoing feud with the Lords of Karma. If you actually do end up making more than you have buyers for, I’d snap one up in an instant.

It seems as if any time new hardware is made, just enough are built to ensure that for years to come there are always people desperately searching for one.

vbxe was not like half a dozen, or even few dozens, it was 120 boards in two runs, each time preorder was open for a month ;) and i know this first hand

So with VBXE there were 120 made across 2 different months and yet there is a steady stream of people saying “I just heard about this” or “I missed this the first time” or even just “I’m ready to get one now” -- at least enough of these folks that Sloopy estimates he could make/has made 20-40 more.

Sounds like the Atari hobbyist community may be bigger than anyone thought!

• Like 2

(...)

Who will be U.S.-based Yankee NTSC installation/distributiion liason? I nominate sloopy.

(...)

:-o

As long as that "liason" is optional, I am fine.

In reality, there is no need to go through intermediate supply points for this board, without mentioning that Incognito's intallation requirements are pretty much a joke.

Let's avoid another SIDE debacle, here, another stream of "Sorry, I have been very busy", "My apologies, I was feeding the dogs" hollow excuses.

(...)

Who will be U.S.-based Yankee NTSC installation/distributiion liason? I nominate sloopy.

(...)

:-o

As long as that "liason" is optional, I am fine.

In reality, there is no need to go through intermediate supply points for this board, without mentioning that Incognito's intallation requirements are pretty much a joke.

Let's avoid another SIDE debacle, here, another stream of "Sorry, I have been very busy", "My apologies, I was feeding the dogs" hollow excuses.

How about 'I am having issues with them not working, and Candle and I havnt been able to get our schedules in sync to work out the problems'?

I dont have dogs, and Its not my chore to feed the cats...

sloopy.

(...)

How about 'I am having issues with them not working, and Candle and I havnt been able to get our schedules in sync to work out the problems'?

I dont have dogs, and Its not my chore to feed the cats...

sloopy.

... :-o

...Now you are telling me that INCOGNITO is NOT working (!!??)

Gee, why does it have to be ME the one opening hidden cans-of-worms (!?) :x

In any case, you are free to do whatever you wish with Candle, in a PRE-PRODUCTION context (which is the way is supposed to happen). It is the PRODUCTION state, however, the proper context for my comments.

In any case, don't forget about the cats... Nothing like a hungry cat around the kitchen... Watch out.

No - Incognito is working fine. He was replying to your snide jab at him about the VBXEs taking a while.

THANKS GOD.

VBXE's? WTF does that have to do with Incognito's? I really don't care about the VBXE, in this context.

Per my comments on SIDE thread, it should be VERY clear for you that I don't "snide jab" at non-sense.

Can you stop being a douche?

The "Ignore List" works wonders. Use it, and your screen will clean up nicely.

It works for me, so far.

Well then you might as well just quit posting, because you contribute NOTHING to any thread on this board. Save Al some server resources and save 100% of us from ignoring you :)

• Like 3

(...)

Well then you might as well just quit posting, because you contribute NOTHING to any thread on this board.

(...)

I would leave that the actual Forum's resources ("likes" tracking, etc.), instead of your own science-fiction.

(...)

Save Al some server resources and save 100% of us from ignoring you :)

(...)

The first thing you should do is to lead by example, like keeping this thread on-topic and avoid posting the very same "garbage" you complain about.

In any case, my apologies if my clear, direct questioning does ruffle some feathers of paper-thin egos, around here. To this extent, I do sincerely recommend (once again) using the IGNORE list (healthiest advice). You obviously belong there, effective now.

To this extent, I do sincerely recommend (once again) using the IGNORE list (healthiest advice). You obviously belong there, effective now.

I am honored and have returned the favor. BTW - your whopping 26 likes don't point to my idea being science fiction, but have it your way. Back to Incognito talk now.

I am waiting for some Xilinx programming connectors to come from China before I can test by beta board.

• Like 7

Sebastian (justifiably) put a complete stop on all public status updates for this project between 1-28 March as a direct result this kind of crap going on in the thread. I would hardly blame him for doing so again. I'm not aware of this being a pre-order thread, and I don't see how beta-testing problems (which are pefectly natural in any development cycle) are "a can of worms". I also don't think that a self-appointed logistics manager is required at this point.

• Like 7

Sebastian (justifiably) put a complete stop on all public status updates for this project between 1-28 March as a direct result this kind of crap going on in the thread. I would hardly blame him for doing so again. I'm not aware of this being a pre-order thread, and I don't see how beta-testing problems (which are pefectly natural in any development cycle) are "a can of worms". I also don't think that a self-appointed logistics manager is required at this point.

Exactly each and every one of my points & thoughts, above.

Could not agree more with you.