IGNORED

XL/XE compatible Atari 800?

Tempest

so i've noticed ;) i'll move that back to atari logo/inverse video key

...Sounds reasonable, but could it be possible to assign it to a combination of "Select"+"Option" or any other arbitrary combination of such specific keys, so it remains on that group of keys already?

F.

numen and any other software using extended ram is working now

todo:

- ide interface

- bios code

- axlon expansion

- cartridge support

if anyone could draw me nice logo that could replace "ultimate setup" logo currently present on incognito board i would be greatfull

todo:

- ide interface

- bios code

- axlon expansion

- cartridge support

if anyone could draw me nice logo that could replace "ultimate setup" logo currently present on incognito board i would be greatfull

...Running Numen probably speaks volumes about how well it is doing with timing on other critical variables, etc... but...

...AXLON? WTF? What piece of relevant Axlon-gear would be left out without such support? (forgive my lack of awareness, in advance).

F.

todo:

- ide interface

- bios code

- axlon expansion

- cartridge support

...Running Numen probably speaks volumes about how well it is doing with timing on other critical variables, etc... but...

...AXLON? WTF? What piece of relevant Axlon-gear would be left out without such support? (forgive my lack of awareness, in advance).

F.

Axlon mode is the defacto standard for ram expansion in an Atari 800 Home Computer. If you are going to put a board in the 800 with the hardware capable of supporting Axlon, then the real question is, why wouldnt you do it?

sloopy.

...(chopped for sanity)...

Axlon mode is the defacto standard for ram expansion in an Atari 800 Home Computer. If you are going to put a board in the 800 with the hardware capable of supporting Axlon, then the real question is, why wouldnt you do it?

sloopy.

Ok, for clarity purposes:

"AXLON Support" actually means "support of de-facto AXLON's addressing/banking scheme used on their memory expansions"...

...And all this (I suppose) for the sake of historical value or simply to allow the host machine to run existing AXLON expansions, in case the user select "Stock RAM/OS Config" on the setup-menu, correct?

Just wondering, as I am not sure is there were applications specifically written to take advantage of it (that is, before XL and XE-class banking came along). With this new board for the "JM-800", I honestly don't see ANY point in keeping something else on the expansion-bay, except for the main-board itself, as we should be able to realize real savings in power consumption, cooling efficiency, and overall long-term reliability (which is an ABSOLUTE key for 27+years HW).

F.

*grumble*

There are programs that take advantage of Axlon style banking, even SDX will use Axlon banking when in an Atari 800, when it is config'ed. (for JM-800 you will have to refer to your JM-800 User Manual).

Now if you read what I said and dont understand it, I will restate it, without, any implied context...

If you are going to put a new personality board in the Atari 800, with capabilities of supporting and implementing an Axlon expanded memory technique used in the Atari 800, why would you not want to have the Axlon expanded memory capabilities programmed into the Incognito board?

For programs that support an Axlon memory expansion, having the Incognito emulate this memory banking scheme is useful. If you want a list of programs that do support Axlon memory, you will have to look yourself...

sloopy.

(...) why would you not want to have the Axlon expanded memory capabilities programmed into the Incognito board? (...)

sloopy.

That's out of the scope of my question. It is your own contextual extra-polation.

Forgot: for the rest, your explanation does makes sense (although I unfortunately do not remember anything specifically written for the AXLON).

F.

(...) why would you not want to have the Axlon expanded memory capabilities programmed into the Incognito board? (...)

sloopy.

That's out of the scope of my question. It is your own contextual extra-polation.

Forgot: for the rest, your explanation does makes sense (although I unfortunately do not remember anything specifically written for the AXLON).

F.

It is in scope of your question, because it nullifies it.

And since you cant seems to understand it, to put it specifically...

Incorrect, it is so you dont need the existing Axlon hardware to have the Axlon capabilities...

sloopy.

I seem to remember that Visicalc can use Axlon memory expansions. I know there were others.

In any case, having the Axlon mode just makes this upgrade even better and it looks like Candle is doing another masterful job here. To Candle, as others have said, thank you for all of your efforts.

(...) When my 800-JM arrives (there - I'm thinking outside the box already!), my mind will be released from the confines of quotidian discourse and free to roam the higher planes of the immortals... :D

...Its arrival will become a revelation to you (suddenly, most XL-class and XE-class machines will look like a toy, next to it).

However, it is only upon confirmed receipt of Candle's "mother-of-all-upgrades" that your ascension to Olympus will be complete. Only then you will experience an "event-horizon", in the confined context of these 8bit "wonders", of course.

"There can only be one". :)

F.

Dork assed retard.

Oh, no, not JM again! Where are the crows? We need crows on this set! Somebody get those damned crows in here!

Good. 3, 2, 1

ACTION...

http://youtu.be/WuTD4yPCQfo

not anything atari related ;)

i need some constructive discussion here, not jayminering, not posting funny videos, but solid discussion

i got most of it working, need some advices on how to proceed or short and reasonable wishlist

seems like i'll need reset circuitry modified to get it to xl/xe standard before i can proceed, but this depends on how will power-on-reset+rnmi on incognito board preform

currently i need to force cpu reset to get to the menu, and this is something i didn't expect

currently you can decide - to some extent - about the shape of this

later it will be all over and hardware will be fixed

so, please, without any more jayminering and jayminering responses

• Like 2

Can you reroute RNMI ? Possibly that's the way you'd need to go. Then have a mode set register that determines whether it generates NMI or Reset signal.

Alternatively, you could have it "always hardware Reset" but have the board default always to a "BIOS bank". Then use a combination of "magic number" and "OS bank" to work out whether the Reset should be power-on type or just warmstart.

Advantage there is that in 800 mode you can then stealthily employ a "hot key" like Ultimate 1 Meg uses to get BIOS menu on demand.

Another (large) advantage with hardware reset is that 800 mode could become recoverable from a locked up CPU condition.

i was thinking similiar to your alternative

bios kicks in each time rnmi is requested, and then deciding on magic number it jumps to RESET vector or NMI vector of selected OS

if i would go with mdified reset path, cpu would have a chance to recover after KIL instruction

Also, aren't there multiple banking schemes for 800 ?

Axlon, similar to XE.

Vanilla 52K with contiguous 0-$CFFF.

64K with bankable $C000-$CFFE controlled by write to $CFFF (?)

48K + 1 Meg bankable $C000-$CFFF controlled by write to $CFFF (?)

I think in any case you'd need a Reset mode - otherwise the user can generate unsolicited NMIs in XE mode. That could potentially be lethal to non re-entrant VBlank routines. Plus you'd need an extra button for XE reset.

Extra features - dunno. Maybe some sort of "freezer" mode. Although doesn't QMeg offer that anyway?

not anything atari related ;)

i need some constructive discussion here, (...)

You have such const. discussion, there are questions here you have not yet addressed (posted by active readers), etc. Although I see you have major / more important issues to consider, now (Reset, etc.).

If you need help on the Diagnostics code, I would like to try / work on it. I actually like that part a lot (but I will need some time, as I am consumed by my job, which I love too, and pays me very well). I have coded on 6502 Assembly, and I least I know the vectors for putting characters on a display. :)

As for the chihuahuas-out-of-their-purses, I will do my best, though. :-D

F.

Wishlist item: Integrated VBXE option, ideally setup as an interface header on the board to allow a plug-in VBXE module, so that the two may be sold separately. A secondary interface header to allow users to add on future upgrades would also be useful.

Other than that, have you determined if your card functions when a Bit-3 80 Column Board is installed?

• Like 1

Wishlist item: Integrated VBXE option, ideally setup as an interface header on the board to allow a plug-in VBXE module, so that the two may be sold separately. A secondary interface header to allow users to add on future upgrades would also be useful.

Other than that, have you determined if your card functions when a Bit-3 80 Column Board is installed?

Or another add on card?