IGNORED

Home Arcade machines

TimsterAA

I don't know if this is the best place to post this question, but it seemed the most logical.

I was doing some surfing this weekend, and somewhat accidentally came across some items that Target has for sale - some home arcade machines. The ones I saw, all for $500, were:

Golden Tee machine

Multi-game Konami machine

Multi-game Midway machine

I subsequently found all three machines on Walmart's site for $450, $365, and $400, respectively.

The Golden Tee game (obviously) features the Golden Tee arcade golf game. The Konami machine features 12 games (Frogger, Green Beret, Blades of Steel, Contra, Gyruss, Castlevania, Hyper Sports, Time Pilot '84, Shao-Lins Road, Jungler, Scramble and Super Basketball), and the Midway machine also features 12 games (Joust, Defender I and II, Robotron, Rampage, Splat, Satan's Hollow, Root Beer Tapper, Bubbles, Wizard of Wor, Timber and Sinistar).

My question is, has anyone ever seen/played these machines? If so - any comments/reviews? I'd be interested in one of the multi-game machines. Since you need to order from the website, and neither Target or Walmart near me has any of these machine setup for demo, I can't get a 'hands-on' preview to see what it's like.

Anybody familiar with these, and have any advice? $365 for a new machine that plays 12 games (some of them even worthy of playing :cool: ) seems like a pretty good deal. Alas, since I only stumbled across them, and have not heard any mention of them by anyone anywhere, that makes me kind of leery.

Let me know - thanks! :)

--Timster--

Thanks Diggs. Wish it were better news, but I guess at the very least I would have to put off thoughts of getting one of these until I could personally try it out. Oh well - maybe one will be on display one day, and they'll be marked down to $100, and I'll like it after all! :-D

Thanks for the links...

--Timster--

Thanks Diggs. Wish it were better news, but I guess at the very least I would have to put off thoughts of getting one of these until I could personally try it out. Oh well - maybe one will be on display one day, and they'll be marked down to $100, and I'll like it after all! :-D

Thanks for the links...

--Timster--

Your welcome!

Id grab them for $100 or less for sure myself~

The Midway machine is from last holiday season. The Target stores nearest me both had playable models, and I spent some time playing on the machines and did not particularly like them. The screen was tiny, maybe 13", and the games were obviously ports (the graphics were noticeably different in certain ways, though maybe that was just due to the fact that the screen was terrible). The control sticks were flimsy; I don't mind sticks like those which Jakks Pacific uses in their TV Games, but that's only when I'm playing a plug-and-play game. On a full- or almost full-size arcade machine, they just don't cut it. It felt like a strenuous session of Robotron might result in sticks torn out of the machine. They're also short machines. The Target stores had them raised about 4" off the ground, on a first-level shelf, and at that height, the sticks felt fairly comfortable. I don't think their natural height would have been as forgiving to one's back/neck.

I have not seen any Target stores this year with a demo machine of the Konami or Golden Tee models (which I first noticed on the manufacturer's website two months ago; I posted about it here). However, I did see both models at a sporting goods store, either Dick's or Sports Authority. Neither machine was plugged in, but I was at least able to see the physical form of the machines. The GT machine is bigger and bulkier, but the Konami machine is almost a remodel of last year's Midway. The screen is different, though; it's still small, but it's a vertically-oriented (Tate, for you Japanese terminology users) screen. The sticks felt the same as last year's, and the machine is still short.

onmode-ky

I can't believe any semi-serious collectors or players would even mess with this junk! The mods are a step in the right direction, but you cannot polish a turd- Do yourself a favor and get a "real" machine, not a toy at Target.

-Mark

Some mods for the midway cab including replacing the rubbish controls and adding a marquee light.

http://www.retroblast.com/articles/BEGMods.html

• 2 months later...