IGNORED

Interfacing C= SID chip with an Atari...

dwhyte

I am so far unable to get this working. The emu just crashes. I have tried NTSC, PAL, various memory sizes. I do have the latest build, and I do have the slightsid enabled. I boot the ATR, type "XAUTORUN.", then just hang to a blank screen. Do I need to pass in a song name as a parameter?

EDIT

Well, just tried passing in song name, and it still crashes.

EDIT #2

The SID Player 1.00 beta works.

The disk routines in xdrive.lib are a bit buggy. First, it won't run on a 65C02 or 65C816 because it uses undocumented instructions ($CB / SBX). Second, it doesn't follow the SIO spec and only waits for the ©omplete byte for about 25ms after reception of the (A)CK byte before retrying (it takes 208ms just for a disk revolution, much less any required seek and head settling time). This causes it to fail if you have accurate disk timing enabled in Altirra.

Edited by phaeron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why not make something similar to a dual POKEY board, but instead place one POKEY + one SID and have 7 voices instead of 3 or 4. I think a big limitation of either chip is the number of voices. Address the SID at $d280 above the POKEY. Maybe put 2 POKEYS + 2 SIDS on a board or cartridge. Didn't someone have a DUAL POKEY + a 3rd chip PCM sounds?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

There's utilities around to turn SIDs back into C64 executables but not sure if they could relocate the Sid chip references to work on SlightSid.

Sid addition is a common upgrade for C= Plus4 and it sometimes uses a different base address so maybe there are existing tools to help.

Incognito isn't required - the Sid cart should work on any machine. I'd not mind one too but Sid chips are becoming hard to find and people want too much for them - often the same price as a full working C64.

Sid addition is a common upgrade for C= Plus4 and it sometimes uses a different base address so maybe there are existing tools to help.

i'm fairly sure most people were doing the relocating by hand and there's significant variations even in different generations of the same music driver to make automating the process a bugger.

Anybody -- are there any docs or a "how to" use the Slight Sid feature of Altirra? Can one use Sid (C=) image files with a player that converts them "on the fly" or?

use rocket_science_relocator ;) if you don't want use SlightSID Player for C64 SIDs or want to use SIDs in your own programs.

_relokator
		 ldy #0
		 ldx #4
		 lda (SID_LOAD_ADRES),y
_testnxt
		 cmp mnemoniki,x
		 bne _skp
		 iny
		 lda (SID_LOAD_ADRES),y
		 cmp #$20
		 bcs _noSID1
		 iny
		 lda (SID_LOAD_ADRES),y
		 cmp #$D4			 ; SID
		 bne _noSID1
		 ISB (SID_LOAD_ADRES),y ; SlightSID
		 .byte { TOP $ffff }	 ; $0C nuts and raisins or bcc _noSID1 and del all DOP&TOP
_skp
            dex
		 .byte { DOP $ff }	 ; $04
		 .byte { TOP $ffff }	 ; $0C
		 bpl _testnxt
_noSID1
            inc SID_LOAD_ADRES
		 bne *+4
		 inc SID_LOAD_ADRES+1
		 lda SID_LOAD_ADRES+1
		 cmp SID_END_ADRES+1
		 bne _relokator
		 lda SID_LOAD_ADRES
		 cmp SID_END_ADRES
		 bne _relokator

DONE :-)

mnemoniki

.byte { sta $d400 }
            ,{ stx $d400 }
            ,{ sty $d400 }
            ,{ sta $d400,x }
            ,{ sta $d400,y }

Edited by xxl

OK, do I have this right?

If I boot the SidPlayer image (with SIDPLAY1.COM) and have the SlightSid feature enabled in Altirra 2.0 or 2.1, then one can play the songs on the menu. These songs have either been written for the SidPlayer/SlightSid or have been converted.

But as far as taking an off-the-shelf C= SID composition, then the memory locations, etc. have to be adjusted to play on the Sid Player (i.e. SP has no built-in relocation, etc.).

@XXL -- Sorry, I'm confused -- "use rocket_science_relocator ;) if you don't want use SlightSID Player for C64 SIDs or want to use SIDs in your own programs."

Do you mean use the relocator if I DO want to use a C64 SID composition with the SidPlayer?

Thanks,

Larry

OK, I've got to ask it...

If all of the thousands of SID tunes would need to be "hand tuned" to work with the Atari (no available machine conversion?), then wouldn't it be heaps easier just to use a PC player or VICE (etc.) to directly play the tunes, instead of the conversion, then playing them on an Atari emulator? Machine conversion and a real SID cartridge would change the equation, IMO. If you are going to use an emulator, what difference does it make if it is Altirra or VICE or?

Maybe the cartridge could/will make the necessary relocations/conversions?

-Larry