IGNORED

Exidy Games

moycon

Didn't someone on the boards own the rights to the old Exidy games? Curt Vendel maybe?

I would LOVE to see a complilation of the old gun games (Crossbow, Chiller, Cheyenne Etc...)

The Wii seems perfect for something like this.

Oh man, that's just MEAN, putting that idea in my head without any chance of fruition... :P

Oh man, that's just MEAN, putting that idea in my head without any chance of fruition... :P

I don't believe Curt owns the rights to the Exidy games, I believed he just licensed them for his Arcade machines. I think First Star Software owns them if I'm not mistaken.

Oh that is too bad. Tell me that wouldn't be awesome though! I wonder if sending a message to First Star Software would result in anything? Maybe at Curt knows how to get in touch with someone there?

John Swiderski of Mean Hamster Software owns the rights to Exidy's games now I believe. In fact he now lists some of the screenshots of the new version of Crossbow he has been working on. Basically it is a revamp of the original. New graphics, etc.

What I have played of his beta's of it in the past was quite good. Still needed some polish on the gameplay mechanics, but the idea seems right.

John Swiderski of Mean Hamster Software owns the rights to Exidy's games now I believe. In fact he now lists some of the screenshots of the new version of Crossbow he has been working on. Basically it is a revamp of the original. New graphics, etc.

What I have played of his beta's of it in the past was quite good. Still needed some polish on the gameplay mechanics, but the idea seems right.

I thought he was just the front man for First Star and that he himself did not own the rights. I would think it would be very expensive for a single person to obtain the rights to a game company, especially one that was as well known as Exidy.

Tempest

Okay...maybe not "all" the rights...but Mean Hamster has the development rights at least to all of Exidy's former titles..

see Mean Hamster's press release here

http://www.meanhamstersoftware.com/press.php

So wait he's working on a new version of Crossbow? So maybe they are going to release it to Wii?? A new version would be cool also, then maybe they would stick the original on the disk somewhere as well.

I don't know...but what John was initially hinting to me was that the new version of Crossbow would be a PC Windows title, and also migrate to the cell phone market as well.

However, from what I have seen of Crossbow...it is almost completely flash based...so it wouldn't be impossible to create a version that was Wii friendly I suppose?

I haven't seen any updates on Crossbow or tested any new betas of the game since around March of last year. So...I really don't know what current status of the title is.

As I stated, I liked the art/graphical style he was pushing for, but there were several gameplay issues that needed to be resolved. The biggest example of this was that the evil wizards eye...would show up more than once per scene. Which simply wasn't the case on the arcade or home versions of the game.

Still it looked and sounded very nice. I will be anxious to see what new developments have taken place with it.

• 7 months later...

I thought he was just the front man for First Star and that he himself did not own the rights. I would think it would be very expensive for a single person to obtain the rights to a game company, especially one that was as well known as Exidy.

Tempest

We do, and we are our own company. We partnered with First Star on several projects but we are in Casual Game production now with a staff of over 14 people. :)

We are still friends with First Star Software, but we've always been seperate entities.

thanks!

John Swiderski

Mean Hamster Software, inc.

We do, and we are our own company. We partnered with First Star on several projects but we are in Casual Game production now with a staff of over 14 people. :)

We are still friends with First Star Software, but we've always been seperate entities.

thanks!

John Swiderski

Any plans to release classic Exidy games for the Wii ? Maybe even with a decent light gun!!?

thanks!

John Swiderski

Any plans to release classic Exidy games for the Wii ? Maybe even with a decent light gun!!?

We are in talks about such projects, but unfortunately none of the major publishers seem to remember Exidy. :(

I see the term "Casual Game PRoduction" and it screams Wii games to me. Seems like a nice fit.

Perhaps we could get an Exidy Game classics released on the Wii? Maybe redo a couple titles and include the back catalog as well? Spectar, Venture and Mouse Trap need to be on there!

We are in talks about such projects, but unfortunately none of the major publishers seem to remember Exidy. :(

That is terrible news. I don't get it. Crossbow was one of the most popular arcade games at the time. Is there any way the classic community could help out? Maybe an email address folks could send requests to? Even a stand alone unit that you hooked up to your TV via audo/video cables would be awesome. Altho it probably would have done much better a year ago, now the market is kind of saturated with those types of products.

John,

The last build of the revamped Crossbow I tested for you was entirely done in flash. Since the Wii is able to do flash content (up to Flash 7 anyways), it seems that some of your products could easily be ported to the Wii no? And what about the Wii Ware downloadables? Seems that some of these games would be an excellent fit for the Wii's Wii ware section?

Just some thoughts...

• 7 months later...
John,

The last build of the revamped Crossbow I tested for you was entirely done in flash. Since the Wii is able to do flash content (up to Flash 7 anyways), it seems that some of your products could easily be ported to the Wii no? And what about the Wii Ware downloadables? Seems that some of these games would be an excellent fit for the Wii's Wii ware section?

Just some thoughts...

Indeed, we've actually tested it on the wii since we last chatted. It actually works well! Needs some newer updated graphics before we can justify selling it for anything but yeah. It works.