IGNORED

Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable?

Shawn

Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Did you buy an Atari Flashback Portable?

• Yes
    • No
    • I plan too in the future

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I couldn't justify the price. $45-$50 is all I've ever seen them at, while the Genesis portable could/can be had for $25-$30. I'd pay $20-$25 for the Atari portable, and then probably never play it. Same with the two Genesis units I ended up with... Really should sell one of them. Or both. :lol:

I'd be willing to trade one of my Genesis ultimate portables for the Atari version if someone was interested in that sort of deal. :grin:

I picked one up with a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I would consider another one, if they increase the screen size. I'd like to see a slightly larger screen and a controller port, so I could play the paddle games. D pads just don't work with paddle games.

I didn't buy one. I'm not interested in a dedicated emulator machine, and even in that case, I prefer playing the Atari on a TV while sitting on the couch and using an arcade style joystick. I have real hardware or Stella for that. The only flashback I would have been interested in was the 2/2+ which is also the only one that didn't have a PAL version for European market.

I do think the portable it's a good product, it's just that I'm not part of the target market it is made for.

I must add that prices here in Europe for all the flashbacks are much higher than in US (the portable goes for about 90 EUR, which are about 100$), so the impulse-buying factor is also unlikely to happen.

I like it... BUT... it doesn't have the option for playing games in Black & White for the ones that support it.

Due to the size of the display and color scheme, some games are hardly playable. Bowling is one... without B&W I can't see the pins because they blend into the background.

On the new version the black and white (TV TYPE) switch stays toggled.

"Atari Flashback® Portable Game Player returns in 2017 with an amazing selection of 70 built-in games, including the legendary BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment arcade hit, PAC-MAN. Other blockbuster games include Dig Dug, Pitfall!, and Frogger, and you can even add your own games with an optional SD card. A built-in, rechargeable battery means the on-the-go fun never ends. Games can be played on the portable’s built-in, high-resolution 2.8” display, or on a TV via optional cable."

Sounds good. Can't wait to see Dig Dug and Pac-Man. New creations (like Frogger) or the 2600 variant?

And no Star Raiders. Pity.

"Atari Flashback® Portable Game Player returns in 2017 with an amazing selection of 70 built-in games, including the legendary BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment arcade hit, PAC-MAN. Other blockbuster games include Dig Dug, Pitfall!, and Frogger, and you can even add your own games with an optional SD card. A built-in, rechargeable battery means the on-the-go fun never ends. Games can be played on the portables built-in, high-resolution 2.8 display, or on a TV via optional cable."

Sounds good. Can't wait to see Dig Dug and Pac-Man. New creations (like Frogger) or the 2600 variant?

And no Star Raiders. Pity.

Frogger is the same new port for the hardware and Pac-Man is a 4k Atari 2600 homebrew. The others are the originals.

Frogger is the same new port for the hardware and Pac-Man is a 4k Atari 2600 homebrew. The others are the originals.

Is there anything different about the hardware? I don't recall what the screen size or resolution was on last year's portable.

I dont know if it would ever be taken into consideration, but a 'Gold (?) Edition' portable with a larger screen size (4"-6") for us old farts whose eyesight is waning would be really sweet. I would easily pay more to have a larger portable screen

There is a possibility - just a possibility - that the portables will undergo a hardware revamp for 2018. Right now, though, it's just something under consideration.

• Like 1