IGNORED

READY! MODEL 100 Portable Computer Kit - Kickstarter

Albert

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but as it seems to be targeted at retro computer users, this seems a good spot..

READY! 100 Computer

We see many projects come across Kickstarter, and every now and then we find one that we feel would be interesting to AtariAge visitors, and in this case, those that tinkered with early home computers back in the 70s and 80s. The READY! 100 is a portable solder-free DIY computer kit that features an extruded aluminum shell that accommodates any single board computer like a raspberry pi, 4x4 x86. pico-itx or something more exotic like an FPGA board and other external devices like dongles or batteries which can now become internal!

It is a platform that brings a beautiful ultra-wide 1920x480 touch screen, 12 customizable industry standard input-outputs ports and 4 antenna ports with a full RGB backlit mechanical keyboard and a 5+5w stereo speaker system. You can use it to create a desktop enhancer, a portable laptop, a ham radio transceiver, a powerful router, a video game rig, audio/video recorder, or maybe something fun like a modernized Atari ST using something like a MiSTer FPGA! It's all up to your imagination.

An open source version of the design has been created for anyone who wants to do it at home with the appropriate 3D Printer and CNC machine. There is ample room inside the case to fit any gadgets you'd like to integrate into a single device. You can even carry it around with you via a guitar strap with the compatible side strap locks. It is designed to be easily upgradable, easily repairable, fully modular, and a little flashy. The design was inspired by the angles and bevels found in early Atari 800 systems along with other companies like the TRS-80 Model 100, and the Apple II or Commodore 64. This is a premium built enclosure designed to last for many years. The READY!OS is a free open source Linux distribution that supports the unique feature set of the READY! 100.

Please visit the Kickstarter campaign to learn more about the READY! 100 and make a pledge to support this project. You can also learn more by visiting the READY! 100 website directly.

• Like 6

It's certainly interesting. I've been trying to design something similar in my spare time, so when I saw this I thought "oh God. Here we go again." Every time I come up with something, someone else gets there first. But this seems to go off on a slightly different, and more expensive, direction. Still, I wish the project luck. The more projects like this which get completed, the better it is for crowdfunding in general after all the screw ups we've had to deal with.

• Like 2

I wish this were posted on Atariage weeks ago. There appears to have been a jump in support, but there's still about 8000 to go and with only a day to go- who knows if they make it. I signed up, for sure. This is a cool idea.

I think I'd use it as a crazy retro PI case, but could see getting a different motherboard in there. Cool idea. If this gtes made, seeing how people manipulate it would be great. 

_D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, FastRobPlus said:

Regarding the keyboard, the non-ortholinear one looks to be the common mechanical keyboard sold under the brand Royal Kludge that you can get from Amazon.  The Solar Jupiter uses this same keyboard:

solar.thumb.PNG.8c9b5539bd5dfb26819530e46556537f.PNG

This looks interesting, do you have a link about it?

My Googles of Solar Systems Jupiter are coming up with a lot of planets and off-grid solutions, but not this device.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:12 PM, FastRobPlus said:

Regarding the keyboard, the non-ortholinear one looks to be the common mechanical keyboard sold under the brand Royal Kludge that you can get from Amazon.  The Solar Jupiter uses this same keyboard:

solar.thumb.PNG.8c9b5539bd5dfb26819530e46556537f.PNG

It's actually a custom pcb.