IGNORED

The hidden "heart" stage in Arkanoid

e1will

Will, did you happen to read down the third-to-last and second-to-last characters of each row beginning with level 100 in your LEVEL - DISPLAY table?:

GAMEOVERROUND_PLAYERREADY_

(note that the blanks only appear following the last letter of the words with an odd number of letters)

• Like 1

Will, did you happen to read down the third-to-last and second-to-last characters of each row beginning with level 100 in your LEVEL - DISPLAY table?:

GAMEOVERROUND_PLAYERREADY_

(note that the blanks only appear following the last letter of the words with an odd number of letters)

Very interesting! I didn't notice that. I guess that would explain where those letters came from.

--Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I believe by "Never actually appearing", Moonsweeper meant not seen in normal gameplay. Since there's no way to advance beyond DOH's board without cheats, you'd never encounter the heart board. Maybe the heart wasn't an easter egg; it was an intentially-designed level that got scrapped when Taito decided to add a final boss, thus DOH was present instead. And even if the heart was an E-Egg, it'd couldn't really be since you cannot pull off a tricky tactic to see the heart board.

• 2 years later...