IGNORED

Marbled - winner of ABBUC Software Contest 2011

MaPa

Hi all. As ABBUC Software Contest 2011 is over, we can share now our new production with you. We are glad that we managed to win this contest, again.. more that it is for the first time that someone won twice in a row. So here you can download game executable plus source and data files as usual (main file to compile is marbled.xsm for XASM assembler). We hope you will enjoy this little game. Unfortunately this game is PAL only.

post-3960-0-02760500-1320137738_thumb.png post-3960-0-91141900-1320137742_thumb.png post-3960-0-71743800-1320137748_thumb.png post-3960-0-05843900-1320137758_thumb.png

EDIT: attached Marbled.pdf with game instructions. And one note, this is a different version to the one on the ABBUC disk. The version on ABBUC disk contains small bug about score and password. When your level starting score ends with xxx1xx and you quit the game, then the generated password will give you score xxx8xx when entered.

Marbled - sources.zip

Marbled.xex

Marbled.pdf

Edited by MaPa
  • Like 4

Congratulations Marek, Zdenek and Michal!

Now that the poll is closed I can freely talk!

Awesome game and title screen!

I like the fading colors of "Marbled!" word and the fact that colors have the "wrong" orientation (considered Atari specs), horizontal and not vertical.

I just forgot to mention in the first post, that this is a fixed version. The version on ABBUC disk contains small bug about score and password. When your level starting score ends with xxx1xx and you quit the game, then the generated password will give you score xxx8xx when entered.

Nice presentation... I like the fadein effect. The game - I foresee another hair-pulling experience, some of these modern puzzlers you refuse to leave until you beat them.

The game is not that hard at all. And as PG posted in this Marbled preview thread, this game is originally from Amiga from 1991, so no modern puzzle :)

I want more levels!

post-18739-0-33132400-1320142036_thumb.png

The PC game from which this conversion comes has "only" 96 levels (I left 4 levels out due to some difficulties to program it), so no more levels :) The only way is that you can edit the level data files (I can provide the description of them) and recompile the program ;)

I want more levels!

The PC game from which this conversion comes has "only" 96 levels (I left 4 levels out due to some difficulties to program it), so no more levels :) The only way is that you can edit the level data files (I can provide the description of them) and recompile the program ;)

I fear I am not capable of that. But I sincerely hope someone else here is (the most I could do was, if someone created a construction kit, to contribute levels for the game - yet noone should expect something similar to the thousands of Boulder Dash and Robbo versions).

Thorsten

What's the trick with the bombs ?

The bombs destroy the object of any tile that's directly left and right of them (this includes crystals, so never jump onto a bomb tile directly left or right of a crystal tile). You can (and often have to) destroy skulls with them, or arrows forcing you into the wrong direction.

Thorsten

I like the fading colors of "Marbled!" word and the fact that colors have the "wrong" orientation (considered Atari specs), horizontal and not vertical.

It's just the opposite actually. The color changes are running vertically, and only 4 colors (shades) horizontally (not counting black and white). I guess it looks like more because Pseudo is using a dither between shades.

Nice effect though, I won't disagree with that. ;)

BTW, thanks for the game and congrats on the win.

Edited by MrFish

pal only? that's not cool.... :(

Unfortunately yes. You can play it on NTSC too, but there is not enough time so there are graphics glitches in the upper part of the screen, most visible on the ball. When you advance in the level there will be some garbage tiles in the upper part (if the previous level has tiles there and the new one does not). You can clear it by pressing START to restart the level. Or just play it on PAL machine or emulator? ;) Maybe.. MAYBE !!! I'll try to do an NTSC version, but chances are not too high.

Edited by MaPa