IGNORED

Ye Olde Adventure II Contest

Albert

Adventure2Box.gifAdventure II is a new Atari 5200 game that picks up where the classic Atari 2600 game Adventure leaves off. Adventure II features larger mazes, snazzier graphics, and more to do than in the original game, promising to be one of the best Atari 5200 homebrew releases to date! As the game nears completion, AtariAge and Square Trio have teamed up to sponsor a two-prong contest to allow the classic gaming community to contribute to the game. The first part of the contest is to create alternate player icon graphics. The second part of the contest is to dream up player rankings that are displayed to the player upon completion of the game (in a manner similar to Star Raiders). The contest runs through the end of August, with a grand prize being awarded as well as two runner-up prizes. You can learn more about the contest and how to enter here. Good luck!

Part Two of Ye Olde Adventure II Contest: "Rankings"

Remember when Gorf called you a Space Cadet? Or getting blasted by Xylons and then earning the infamous "Garbage Scow Captain" ranking in Atari's Star Raiders? Adventure II will assign a game ranking at the end of each game, and here is your chance to use your vocabulary and wit to think up some good ones!

Rankings are assigned when the chalice is returned to the first castle and are based on the game variation’s difficulty and length, the number of times a player is eaten or revives, if a secret is found, the number of dragons killed, and the time taken to complete the game. A player who completes the hardest game will get a different ranking than the player who completes the easiest game, for example.

Rules:

Rankings must be 20 characters or less

Keep it clean and free of slurs

Classic-gaming era "in jokes" and puns are fine!

The number of winners will depend on quantity and quality of entries! Winners will receive instructions how to 'activate' their rankings in the final game!

Is that 20 characters total used for all ranking or each individual ranking?

characters total (<,=)20 or characters in one rank (<,=)20

Edited by FireTiger

How many rankings will there be and how many do we have to think up?! Or are we just submitting one rank?!

905023[/snapback]

I'm not sure how many final rankings will be in the game, I'll have to leave that for Ron to answer. You can submit just a single rank if you'd like, there is no set number. You do not need to complete both parts of the contest in order to compete in the contest. You can submit icons or ranks, or both if you'd like. I will modify the contest page to clarify this.

..Al

Curt Vendel and his programming team engineered the 2600 version of Adventure II by using code from the original Atari 2600 Adventure engine, and augmented it using ideas from the 5200 version.

Thanks for answering questions, Al.

To summarize the 2-part contest, it is open ended. You can draw 1 icon or as many as you like. Or you can submit 1 ranking or as many as you like. Or you can take part in both icon (sprite) drawing and rankings. The contest has a free for all kind of mentality -- I don't know how many I'll pick yet because it will depend on how many great entries I have, and on available memory space of course.

• 2 weeks later...

As soon as I saw this I read all I could find on it. Let's say I'm .. Excited. Yeah, that's the word... Excited.

I've been looking forward to Adventure II for a long time, and to see it nearing completion *and* bringing on a contest, oh... count me in. Count me in five times plus a set of twenty rankings, already sent. Oh yeah. Oh ... Yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't get a chance to enter, unfortunately, but, while it may seem a sacrilege to classic Adventure players, I always wondered how a stick-figure, or something that looked more human, would look in Adventure or Adventure 2.

920884[/snapback]

You still have some time to enter. The entries keep rolling in, let's see, there are entries from over 30 people so far. Ron's going to have a tough time sorting through all the great icons and ranks people have submitted!

..Al

Didn't get a chance to enter, unfortunately, but, while it may seem a sacrilege to classic Adventure players, I always wondered how a stick-figure, or something that looked more human, would look in Adventure or Adventure 2.

920884[/snapback]

You still have some time to enter. The entries keep rolling in, let's see, there are entries from over 30 people so far. Ron's going to have a tough time sorting through all the great icons and ranks people have submitted!

..Al

920901[/snapback]

Hello Al. I just submitted the icon I've worked on for the contest. I hope Ron and yourself are willing to look at just a few more last minute entries from those of us who throw in there last bids, even if they won't be concidered since the contest just ended today. Thanks for the opprotunity however and hope to hear from you! I can't wait to see what all the entries look like!

-David

Hello Al. I just submitted the icon I've worked on for the contest. I hope Ron and yourself are willing to look at just a few more last minute entries from those of us who throw in there last bids, even if they won't be concidered since the contest just ended today. Thanks for the opprotunity however and hope to hear from you! I can't wait to see what all the entries look like!

-David

923114[/snapback]

Me too, I really want to see what everyone else came up with. I hope your entry is included!

-David

923114[/snapback]

Me too, I really want to see what everyone else came up with. I hope your entry is included!

923503[/snapback]

Me three... I'd even go so far as to say that I'm more curious about what all the entries look like than who won. How different can all of the alternate player icons look, given the limitations... will there be several similar ideas... or will everything be radically different? I can't wait.

(Oh George .. not the livestock)

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...vIIContest.html

BANG A RANG! Check out dem icons!

925578[/snapback]

Ack! You didn't post my submission.

http://whiteshell.com/jacob/atari/lilknight.html

Also, can we have names on these so we can say "I like {name}'s family circus guy"?

Ack! You didn't post my submission.

http://whiteshell.com/jacob/atari/lilknight.html

Also, can we have names on these so we can say "I like {name}'s family circus guy"?

925666[/snapback]

Oh wait, there it is, it's just incredibly tiny and only 1/4 of the headings are there.

Edited by Jacob Rose

[figured out that "YeOlde" is prefixed to everybody's icon name]

925671[/snapback]

Sorry, I don't know why lilknight GIFs were so small... I blew them up a few times larger, check it out. There were some repetitive entries such as various different frames or variations of the same image, so in that case I just showed a few.

I found some time to go back and list everyone's name before their images too.

Edited by Cafeman