IGNORED

Analogue testprogram on CD

Matthias

Hello all,

i have created an encrypted CD containing my small analogue-input testprogram JANALOG.ABS,

you can find ZIP-archives with either the CDRecord-tracks, a Nero-CD-Image or a DiscJuggler-CD-Image

on my webpage about the AnalogueDigitalConverter.

As recently described in another thread you can use this testprogram to check whether or not your Jaguar console is equipped with the ADC-circuit (see screenshot-description on my above mentioned ADC-webpage).

Would be nice if those of you who have a Jaguar with ADC would post their serialnumbers, thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

Hello all,

i have created an encrypted CD containing my small analogue-input testprogram JANALOG.ABS,

you can find ZIP-archives with either the CDRecord-tracks, a Nero-CD-Image or a DiscJuggler-CD-Image

As recently described in another thread you use this testprogram to check whether or not your Jaguar console is equipped with the ADC-circuit (see screenshot-description on my above mentioned ADC-webpage).

Would be nice if those of you who have a Jaguar with ADC would post their serialnumbers, thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Matthias

Well, I can't give you the numbers of the systems I used to have that had the ADC, but they were ALL "K" series NTSC and they ALL had the ADC. But the one I do currently have is K142002426. I really think that for some reason all the PAL K sereies were made without the ADC chip, if all of yours have not had it, WHY? I have NO idea, especially since it's a mere jumper setting and power led color that are the only differences, as far as I know, but it seems Atari knew at the outset which would be the PAL Jaguars and for whatever reason, decided to either never put the ADC chip in them, or stopped putting them in PAL Jaguars sooner than in the states.

Hello Gunstar!

Well, I can't give you the numbers of the systems I used to have that had the ADC, but they were ALL "K" series NTSC and they ALL had the ADC. But the one I do currently have is K142002426.

Hmm, my old list entry for your ADC-equipped NTSC-Jag is K142004040, which is not too far away.

I really think that for some reason all the PAL K sereies were made without the ADC chip, if all of yours have not had it, WHY? I have NO idea, especially since it's a mere jumper setting and power led color that are the only differences, as far as I know, but it seems Atari knew at the outset which would be the PAL Jaguars and for whatever reason, decided to either never put the ADC chip in them, or stopped putting them in PAL Jaguars sooner than in the states.

My only NTSC-Jag is a M-series made in 1995 (my only PAL-M-series is also made in 1995),

so my data base is really minimal to allow conclusions about the relation between PAL and NTSC and the ADC.

Bye!

Matthias

Hello all,

As recently described in another thread you can use this testprogram to check whether or not your Jaguar console is equipped with the ADC-circuit (see screenshot-description on my above mentioned ADC-webpage).

Kind regards

Matthias

does this include dev jaguars,just curious buddy :cool:

Thank You!, Matthias for making the ADC test program on encrypted CD for all of us, it's quite interesting! :) I have downloaded and burned a discjuggler CD image of JANALOG.ABS and ran it with no problems on my Jaguar CD. Your knowledge of the Jaguar, is quite impressive to say the least.

My ADC chip testing results, per your instructions, are that I do indeed have an ADC chip in my Jaguar, because the +2 is at the upper left hand corner of the green rectangle. My NTSC Jaguar serial number is: K143019781 purchased by me on October 29, 1994. I used a Visual Dimensions 3D Fight Stick modded for the Jaguar, which was originally a Gravis BlackHawk Flight Stick for the PC. I was unable to get +1 to separate from +2 onscreen in the green rectangle and only up & down movements changed the Delay numbers onscreen. This was the same on the flight stick as well as a regular joypad.

So, because +1 did not separate from the +2 in the upper left corner with the +2 not moving at all and only up and down worked to change the delay reading numbers, so I assume :roll: that the VD3D Flight Stick is not an analogue input device. And of course we know the regular joypad is not.

I have written to Alan Burress the maker of Visual Dimensions 3D Flight Stick mods for the Jaguar and asked him if his joysticks are analogue capable and what to do to enable this input mode if possible. And if he has used the "analogue affair" BattleSphere code with success using his joysticks. I will let everyone know what he says if he responds. However, with the results of Matthias's JANALOG.ABS using the Flight Stick on my Jag and Crash's comments about the Flight Stick's lack of analogue capability, I don't think Alan will return a message saying that it is analogue capable.

However, I do know, thanks to Matthias that my Jaguar with the serial number listed above does indeed have an ADC chip! And, I think now I should further verify these results, by removing the four screws in my base unit to visually authenticate the presence of the ADC chip in my Jag to 100% comfirm analogue capability. :) Will advise.

Hello!

Hello all,

does this include dev jaguars,just curious buddy :cool:

Yes of course, the more info we have, the better :)

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

Thank You!, Matthias for making the ADC test program on encrypted CD for all of us, it's quite interesting! :) I have downloaded and burned a discjuggler CD image of JANALOG.ABS and ran it with no problems on my Jaguar CD.

Good to hear that the CD-image worked for you.

Your knowledge of the Jaguar, is quite impressive to say the least.

My ADC chip testing results, per your instructions, are that I do indeed have an ADC chip in my Jaguar, because the +2 is at the upper left hand corner of the green rectangle. My NTSC Jaguar serial number is: K143019781 purchased by me on October 29, 1994.

OK, so yours is the ADC-equipped Jag with the highest serialnumber i know of at the moment.

I used a Visual Dimensions 3D Fight Stick modded for the Jaguar, which was originally a Gravis BlackHawk Flight Stick for the PC. I was unable to get +1 to separate from +2 onscreen in the green rectangle and only up & down movements changed the Delay numbers onscreen. This was the same on the flight stick as well as a regular joypad.

So, because +1 did not separate from the +2 in the upper left corner with the +2 not moving at all and only up and down worked to change the delay reading numbers, so I assume :roll: that the VD3D Flight Stick is not an analogue input device. And of course we know the regular joypad is not.

I have written to Alan Burress the maker of Visual Dimensions 3D Flight Stick mods for the Jaguar and asked him if his joysticks are analogue capable and what to do to enable this input mode if possible. And if he has used the "analogue affair" BattleSphere code with success using his joysticks. I will let everyone know what he says if he responds. However, with the results of Matthias's JANALOG.ABS using the Flight Stick on my Jag and Crash's comments about the Flight Stick's lack of analogue capability, I don't think Alan will return a message saying that it is analogue capable.

I don't own such a stick myself, but reading the info on the Visual Dimensions 3D Flight Stick webpage makes me pretty sure that it returns only digital values to the Jaguar, else you couldn't use it with those listed games like Cybermorph, Battlemorph, and so on.

However, I do know, thanks to Matthias that my Jaguar with the serial number listed above does indeed have an ADC chip! And, I think now I should further verify these results, by removing the four screws in my base unit to visually authenticate the presence of the ADC chip in my Jag to 100% comfirm analogue capability. :) Will advise.

OK :)

Best regards

Matthias

I don't own such a stick myself, but reading the info on the Visual Dimensions 3D Flight Stick webpage makes me pretty sure that it returns only digital values to the Jaguar, else you

Visual Dimensions confirms:

"The joystick is DIGITAL only, all the analog functions have been converted."

I think that you would have to completely re-fit this joystick to restore analog functions. From the feel and sound of it, I suspect the analog potentiometers were removed and replaced with arcade leaf switches. I would not recommend attempting to undo the design of this stick, as it would be much easier to buy a Gravis Blackhawk that is unmodified and still has the analog parts. I can't confirm whether this model originally contained Jaguar compatible potentiometers. T-Bird of 4-Play said:

--

PC controllers generally have a pot in them that goes from zero to some value (say 10K ohms) with two solder lugs. One for the resistor end and one for the wiper.

Jag Analog control uses a 3 lug pot. One end of resistor is ground, the other end is 5V and the wiper goes to the input on the port.

Some controllers for PC's use a 3 lug pot and just hook up one and plus the wiper, but I never found any model that you would know for sure had this part in it. If I did, I would have bought a few cases and modded them and

sold them.

If you want to try it, go ahead.

--

also:

--

If you have a K-series (ADC) Jaguar you can convert just about any PC analog joystick to work with BattleSphere and/or BattleSphere Gold™, in true Analog mode. It's one of the codes in the game. It works too!

I have told several people how to modify joysticks. One fellow said he was going to sell them so I deferred from making my own or publishing plans because I wanted to help him out. This was about 6 weeks ago, but I have not heard anythnig since.

Basically, the PC joystick uses a potentiometer where only 2 pins are used: one side and the center wiper. To work on the Jag, the sides of the pot have to be hooked to +5 and GND and the center goes to the analog pin of the joystick port on the Jag.

+5---////---GND
Input------|

(That will probably get messed up in HTML but you get the idea)

I don't know the exact pins to hook up right off my head, so someone will have to look it up. There's only 2 input pins on the port, UP/DOWN and LEFT/RIGHT. Hook up each pot and you'll be running. You'll have to use trial and error to figue out which end of each pot is +5 and which is GND because different pots wire them differently and if you get it wrong the only thing which will happen is your directions will be reversed when you play. Just reverse the connections to fix it.

Thunderbird

--

I'll be working on this when I find a suitable Jaguar, but please be sure to post here if you (anyone) gets an analog stick working on Battlesphere.

Edited by crash

Hello all,

Kind regards

Matthias

Wow, Matthias. You are really active. Thanks for the CD image. I will test my Jaguars and let you know asap.

Hello all,

Kind regards

Matthias

Wow, Matthias. You are really active. Thanks for the CD image. I will test my Jaguars and let you know asap.

Will try to do the same as well.

Hello!

Wow, Matthias. You are really active.

Not really, i had written the testprogram JANALOG.ABS 3.5 years ago, at that time i didn't realize that it would also be usefull to non-developers to check their Jaguars for the ADC. So all i did recently (stimulated by the recent discussion and email-exchange) was to create the CD and to provide the CD-images to the public.

Thanks for the CD image. I will test my Jaguars and let you know asap.

You are welcome :)

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello all,

Kind regards

Matthias

I'll see about getting this info for you in a few days. I'll reprint this post on JSII unless you object.

May I ask what the purpose is of gathering this information?

Got the disc burned and working. How do you know if you have a analog equipped Jag or not?

I got a 2+ in the lower right had corner. All pots (I believe is the term) all show "FFFF".

There is a description on Matthias´ page:

http://www.mdgames.de/janalog.html

Just scroll all the way down the page. From what I could get the "2+" means that your Jaguar has the ADC built in.

Hello!

Wow, Matthias. You are really active.

Not really, i had written the testprogram JANALOG.ABS 3.5 years ago, at that time i didn't realize that it would also be usefull to non-developers to check their Jaguars for the ADC. So all i did recently (stimulated by the recent discussion and email-exchange) was to create the CD and to provide the CD-images to the public.

Kind regards

Matthias

Matthias, this is still much more than what others do, so thanks for doing this.

Got the disc burned and working. How do you know if you have a analog equipped Jag or not?

I got a 2+ in the lower right had corner. All pots (I believe is the term) all show "FFFF".

Just scroll all the way down the page. From what I could get the "2+" means that your Jaguar has the ADC built in.

Actually the screen looked like the first picture on that webpage that is mentioned under the "does not have". But I will check the other Jags I have as well.

Hello JagChris!

I'll see about getting this info for you in a few days. I'll reprint this post on JSII unless you object.

No problem with this, go ahead :)

May I ask what the purpose is of gathering this information?

During the years i have often seen that people think that all K-series Jaguar-consoles would be equipped with the ADC-circuit, recently AA-member "crash" started this AA-thread where he simply asks for a K-series Jaguar, but in fact searches for an ADC-equipped Jag!

So providing the JANAOLOG.ABS with the new screenshots/descriptions and the CD-images holding this tetsprogram should be helpfull to knock down the concrete serialnumber border between ADC-equipped and ADC-missing consoles, so far we have seen that a NTSC-Jag produced in April 1994 (K144xxxxxx) has a ADC but K146xxxxxx (produced in June 1994) don't have it.

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello!

Actually the screen looked like the first picture on that webpage that is mentioned under the "does not have". But I will check the other Jags I have as well.

DocClu is right:

(The following is only true if no input-device is attached)

$ffff for both couples of registervalues =

the 2 crosshair-sprites are positioned in the lower right corner ===> no ADC installed

$0000 for both couples of registervalues =

the 2 crosshair-sprites are positioned in the upper left corner ===> ADC is installed

I apologize that i was too lazy and did not create the moveable crosshair-sprites in a way that you could see that there are 2 of them on screen even if their (x|y)-positions are the same ;)

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello JagChris!

Is that a version on the webpage right above it that I can upload via BJL?

Yes, you can find the testprogram JANALOG.ABS (has no ABS-header, startaddress is $4000) and it's source in the ZIP-archive linked right above the new screenshots.

Kind regards

Matthias

Ok, I have three Jaguars that seem to work with the program...

K13C008998

And then in some partially working Jaguars...

K143004412

K144003248

My other Jaguar I think is a type M Jaguar I believe. Kinda hard to pull out and turn over, but didn't work anyway.

DocClu is right:

(The following is only true if no input-device is attached)

$ffff for both couples of registervalues =

the 2 crosshair-sprites are positioned in the lower right corner ===> no ADC installed

$0000 for both couples of registervalues =

the 2 crosshair-sprites are positioned in the upper left corner ===> ADC is installed

I apologize that i was too lazy and did not create the moveable crosshair-sprites in a way that you could see that there are 2 of them on screen even if their (x|y)-positions are the same ;)

Kind regards

Matthias

Whoops, my mistake. But after reading the instructions once again, I finally got it.

Thanks, Matthias for making it very clear now.

In the meantime I burned my own test CD and quickly verified that it works.

I will try to go through all my Jaguars (I think I have 8 or so) and see if we can nail down the serial number issues mentioned above.

Hello jaguar_fan!

I tested four of my Jaguars and found two of them are equipped with the A/D converter.

The serial numbers are:

K146002647

K149019945

Need to test the other ones, which are currently stored away.

Can you say if these 2 with the ADC are NTSC or PAL-machines?

(I would also be interested in the serial numbers of the non-ADC machines: the more info the better!)

The first number you have posted (K146002647) would indicate that the border between consoles with and without ADC-circuit lies within a certain production-month (June 1994), because so far all consoles with higher serial numbers (starting with my own PAL-console K146012252 ) didn't have the ADC.

But the second number K149019945 (September 1994) destroys this theory :(

Kind regards

Matthias

Hello jaguar_fan!

I tested four of my Jaguars and found two of them are equipped with the A/D converter.

The serial numbers are:

K146002647

K149019945

Need to test the other ones, which are currently stored away.

Can you say if these 2 with the ADC are NTSC or PAL-machines?

(I would also be interested in the serial numbers of the non-ADC machines: the more info the better!)

The first number you have posted (K146002647) would indicate that the border between consoles with and without ADC-circuit lies within a certain production-month (June 1994), because so far all consoles with higher serial numbers (starting with my own PAL-console K146012252 ) didn't have the ADC.

But the second number K149019945 (September 1994) destroys this theory :(

Kind regards

Matthias

Both mentioned Jaguars are PAL, if I remember correctly.

I will double check and let you know the other serial numbers as well.