IGNORED

homebrew easter eggs? (have they all been found?)

godzillajoe

Hm... Let's see... Homebrew games with easter eggs that i know of are:

- Medieval Mayhem

- Solar Plexus

- Phantom II/Pirate

- 2005 Minigame Multicart

- Toyshop Trouble

- Wolfenstein VCS: The Next Mission (if you count that as homebrew)

There is a list with easter eggs on the DP Site.

Not a homebrew...but Hack'Em has an easter egg. Dunno if anybody's found it (you will definately know it if you do). It's triggered only on 1 level in any of the game modes -except- those that feature less than 4 monsters...all 4 of them must be present. Might be impossible to trigger depending on what board you start the game at...so it's done before you reach the keys. And of course, the arcade's split-screen is included at level 256 in all variations.

The hacks Advent has an easter egg that "curses" the player, and Haunted Adventure II has a couple of them.

Raiders of the Lost Ark had more bugs and Easter Eggs than any other 2600 game. There are still a couple that I cannot confirm such as what use is the dot in the Mesa amongst others ;)

More bugs? Hah?? I'm sure that there's plenty of glitchy knock-off games that had more.

...or were you referring to the tsetse flies?

Spoiler:

The point scale is based off positive or negative actions...and all but one of them have been discovered. The remaining one neither adds nor subtracts - possibly related to something that was removed in the final game. This point scale is used to generate the height of the sprite that holds Indy up to the Ark. Highlight the list to reveal them:

+24 (start with)

+12 USING SHOVEL IN MESA

+10 FINDING ARK

+ 3 USE OF PARACHUTE

+ 9 USE OF ANKH

+ 5 UNCOVERING YAR

+14 LOCATING ARK IN MAPROOM

+ 3 LANDING IN MESA

+ 1 FINISHING GAME WITH 1 LIFE LEFT

+ 2 FINISHING GAME WITH 2 LIVES LEFT

+-0 ?? UNKNOWN - possibly related to JD's initials or the playfield "key"

- 2 BLOWING HOLE IN ENTRANCE ROOM

-13 USING SECRET EXIT IN DUNGEON

- 4 SHOOTING/WHIPPING THIEVES

The easter egg in Solar Plexus is a real doozy. You enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, difficulty left B, difficulty left A, and game reset to begin a Pong-ish challenge which doubles as a reference to an NES game that was almost released in the United States. Even if you don't remember the previews of the game in EGM, you should still get the joke.

JR

The easter egg in Solar Plexus is a real doozy. You enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, difficulty left B, difficulty left A, and game reset to begin a Pong-ish challenge which doubles as a reference to an NES game that was almost released in the United States. Even if you don't remember the previews of the game in EGM, you should still get the joke.

JR

Now that is awesome!

I haven't played any homebrew games. Are they any good?

Yep. You may find product reviews helpful. A number of them also have ROMs available so you can try them(via an emulator) before buying.

I have the ROM for Medieval Mayhem, my warlords remake, available here. There's also a couple videos and other things there.

Edited by SpiceWare

Many are very good. Some are among the best games ever created for the 2600.

I've written a bunch of reviews in my blog.

Also, if you search this forum, you'll find a few threads with homebrew recommendations in them.

Edited by Nathan Strum

Remember when you were a kid and you got a new game?

That's what I feel like when that AA box shows up after I buy a new homebrew

I would say MOST of the homebrews are as good or better than anything released commercially for the 2600

I noticed that still a lot of homebrew ROMs are missing in the 2600 section.

E.g.

Four-Play

Medieval Mayhem

Lady Bug

Space Battle

Warring Worms: The Worm (Re)Turns

Plus all Holiday Carts.

I hope those will be added soon. IMO even the Ebivision games could be included, since DP offers them anyway.

I noticed that still a lot of homebrew ROMs are missing in the 2600 section.

E.g.

Four-Play

Medieval Mayhem

Lady Bug

Space Battle

Warring Worms: The Worm (Re)Turns

Plus all Holiday Carts.

I hope those will be added soon. IMO even the Ebivision games could be included, since DP offers them anyway.

I'd love to get the ones I bought just to put them on my CC2.

It's not exactly an Easter Egg, but Four-Play does have a bonus puzzle game. As the manual states it can be unlocked from the title screen. Has anyone figured out how to unlock it yet?

Yup, Hack-O-Matic revealed that secret for me but i yet have to find out how to unlock that "extended" version of Knight Jumper. :)

It's not exactly an Easter Egg, but Four-Play does have a bonus puzzle game. As the manual states it can be unlocked from the title screen. Has anyone figured out how to unlock it yet?

I figured it out. ;)

And to my knowledge nobody has found the easter egg in Go Fish!

I probably made it too difficult, but oh wells. :D It'll be that much cooler for whoever finds it first. Assuming somebody does...:ponder:

I figured it out. ;)

And to my knowledge nobody has found the easter egg in Go Fish!

I probably made it too difficult, but oh wells. :D It'll be that much cooler for whoever finds it first. Assuming somebody does...:ponder:

How about a HINT?