IGNORED

What genre do you feel is underepresented on 2600?

salstadt

What type of game would you like to see more of?

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those so I'll go with uneasy/horror titles. Haunted House was so great in its execution, I'd love to see a horror game push the system even further in terms of putting the gamer on the edge of their seat.

- Adam

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those so I'll go with uneasy/horror titles. Haunted House was so great in its execution, I'd love to see a horror game push the system even further in terms of putting the gamer on the edge of their seat.

- Adam

926676[/snapback]

First-person shooters. Flight simulators (non-space).

- Adam

926676[/snapback]

I'd like to see more side-scrollers. Although the technical limitations of the 2600 make up/down scrollers easier to program, side-scrollers may also be possible with more effort.

Goat turd flinging. That is one genre that is underrepresented.

I'd like to see more adventure games that feature Controlled Randomness. Possibly random rooms, but certainly randomly placed treasure and enemies. More games similar to E.T. that are flicker-free (but without the wells). That's my favorite kind of game, but there aren't that many.

Edited by Random Terrain

I think the *western* genre is underepresented a lot. In the original library there's only Outlaw and Stampede. (And Custers Revenge, sort of ;))

926712[/snapback]

I agree 100%. During the time of Gunfight's label design contest I was duly inspired and began designing a western game where you play a bandit (after some attempts to actually design a label for your game ;)). The goal was to acquire as much cash as you could before you got caught (or killed). The more towns you rob, the more notorious you become and the harder it gets not to get busted. Features include:

-> Get challenged by others wanting to reap the rewards of bringing you to justice! Take ten paces back and draw!

-> You're just another Sunday churchgoer...until the donation basket comes your way!

-> Getting pursued? Destroy bridges that link towns. That'll slow 'em down!

-> Beware of the scorching sun. Be sure you have enough water when travelling between towns.

Anyway, I always thought a western adventure for the 2600 would be loads of fun. Low tech, seat of your pants action!

- Jason

Hi there!

I think the *western* genre is underepresented a lot. In the original library there's only Outlaw and Stampede. (And Custers Revenge, sort of ;))

Greetings,

Manuel

926712[/snapback]

It's funny I was just going through my MAME collection and I found this late 70's western game that was actually quite fun. I think it would be an easy port to the 2600. The name of the game is Dead Eye and it is simple enough. You are a gunslinger and your objective is to keep a coin in the air as long as possible (hitting targets, bouncing off walls, etc) by using your gun. The game has this slow gravity thing that makes it fun. And you can easily control your shots to send the coin flying in different directions. Out of the many many arcade games I tried that night from that era I was surprised how long I played this simple game and how fun it was.

post-4382-1126110015_thumb.png

Edited by retrocon

I don't think they're necessarily under-represented, but I'd like to see more puzzle games on the 2600. The ones that have been under development lately are very cool, and reminded me of how many possibilities there are in this genre that haven't really been explored yet.

Or zombie westerns. Either one.

I'd say action puzzlers since that's my favorite genre, but there are a fair amount of those

I don't think they're necessarily under-represented, but I'd like to see more puzzle games on the 2600.

How are there a fair amount of puzzle games, or how are they not necessarily under-represented on the 2600?

KLAX, Acid Drop, a handful of homebrews...what else is there? Am I missing something?

KLAX, Acid Drop, a handful of homebrews...what else is there?  Am I missing something?

Well, by under-represented, I meant "one" or "none". ;)

This is pretty good for a handful of homebrews:

Jammed, Crazy Valet, Okie Dokie, Edtris (and the other Tetris clones), plus a fair number in development: Bounce, Master Mind Deluxe, Marble Solitaire, Dstar, Four-Play.

(Admittedly, my definition of a "puzzle" game may be a bit loose. Some of those are board games, but they're puzzle-based.)

Gun games.

I'd like to see

Chiller

Cheyenne

Area 51

:ponder:

And maybe a Chiller/Cheyene hybrid that combines both horror and western elements.

928028[/snapback]

Dude, that game looks kickass... I wish it were real. I guess I'm going to have to get on board with the whole zombie/cowboy genre.

But, apart from that sort of game, I really want to see more graphical adventures, action RPG's, action/adventures, or whatever you want to call them. They all lie somewhere out in the middle of the line between action games and RPG's... I like those.

I'd also love to see some attempts at the survival horror genre. No, I'm not asking for Resident Evil or anything like that... there are plenty of ways to do the genre justice. Skeleton+ comes to mind as a game that scratches the surface of what could be a full blown survival horror game on the VCS. There was a turn based survival horror homebrew being developed for the Gameboy (Hungry Are the Dead) that was very promising... something similar could be done on the 2600. It would be interesting to see this genre explored in new ways to get around the limitations of the 2600.

Hi there!

Some time ago there was some pretty good idea for a doable puzzle game posted somewhere right here... *searches* ...

Ah, gotcha: Puzzle Game

Greetings,

Manuel

927446[/snapback]

I'm not the biggest fan of puzzle games but that one's sort of a dungeon crawler/puzzle game. It's really cool... and it's also one of those games that you could actually make look BETTER on the 2600... with some cool looking Theseus and Minotaur sprites, with animations for walking and the Minotaur kicking your ass when he catches up to you... that would be awesome.

KLAX, Acid Drop, a handful of homebrews...what else is there?  Am I missing something?

Well, by under-represented, I meant "one" or "none". ;)

This is pretty good for a handful of homebrews:

Jammed, Crazy Valet, Okie Dokie, Edtris (and the other Tetris clones), plus a fair number in development: Bounce, Master Mind Deluxe, Marble Solitaire, Dstar, Four-Play.

(Admittedly, my definition of a "puzzle" game may be a bit loose. Some of those are board games, but they're puzzle-based.)

927793[/snapback]

Oh - that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I thought I was just unaware of some hidden trove of puzzle games in the 2600 library.

And, actually, I'd add Qb to your list of homebrew puzzle games.