IGNORED

AspeQt: Yet another SIO2PC/APE clone

cyco130

That's probably because you have a newer Qt than the last AspeQt release. Just search the identically named DLLs in your Qt install folder and replace the older ones with them. If you encounter more than one version of the DLLs in the Qt installation, use the smaller ones, the larger ones are for debugging.

Hmmm... tried that. Still getting the same error. Yikes... I reverted back to the old DLLs and the release version doesn't work now, either. I guess the QT install has screwed the DLL references up?

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Any chance for an update? I currently have V 0.6 and the problem that a folder image cycles through sectors 466/7/8/9 (but loads the correct number of sectors...). Seems to be similar to what has been mentioned before.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by peter.dell

• 2 months later...

Right, my fault about PC spec, my pc, pentium quad, 3 gig memory, win xp SP3,my Atari is with HiaSsoft rom path .Transfer ok i made USB Cable inside SIO plug for this:

Home made pcb:

8695a3c11cca279cm.jpg

Fitted in SIO plug:

29938c78e99ee930m.jpg

Few parts,

ft232rl,

100nF

10uf

4148 diode

With 5 meters usb cable aspeqt and this calble working without problems.

hi zaxon,

can give further instructions to build your cable?

regards

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hi gents,

another of my little questions..

I got USB SIO cable for use with aspeqt, after setting the right COM port after installing the Virtual com drivers which was 4 in my case the software worked great from my XL, all lovely booting up, all really sweet.

Then I got 2 hick ups', I thought I'd try the old 800 with the lead and it just refused to acknowledge a drive on there and went to the Memo Pad screen.

I swapped the settings about and nothing booted the image (an SD image) so I unplugged and went back to the XL and suddenly it did the same, I cleared my temp and reboot and all was well again but still no joy using the 800. I checked the 800's SIO port with a 1050 and it was fine but no joy cable wise.

Any idea's gents..

Not stunningly bothered as it works via the XL but just interested if anyone has any idea's..

hi gents,

another of my little questions..

I got USB SIO cable for use with aspeqt, after setting the right COM port after installing the Virtual com drivers which was 4 in my case the software worked great from my XL, all lovely booting up, all really sweet.

Then I got 2 hick ups', I thought I'd try the old 800 with the lead and it just refused to acknowledge a drive on there and went to the Memo Pad screen.

I swapped the settings about and nothing booted the image (an SD image) so I unplugged and went back to the XL and suddenly it did the same, I cleared my temp and reboot and all was well again but still no joy using the 800. I checked the 800's SIO port with a 1050 and it was fine but no joy cable wise.

Any idea's gents..

Not stunningly bothered as it works via the XL but just interested if anyone has any idea's..

12V line on the 800's SIO port messing things up maybe?

I don't have a USB interface to Atari so might be wrong:

The only lines connected on the Atari side should be GND, DATA IN, DATA OUT, COMMAND. If the interface device requires +5V power then it gets it either from the Atari or host (PC) side, but usually from the Atari.

In the case of USB, I would suspect the power should come from the PC side. Since there's plug/play taking place with the detect/disconnect stuff you have with USB, it makes much more sense to do it that way.

There should be no connection to +12V on the Atari. Sure, traditional SIO2PC via RS232 uses 12 Volt levels to communicate to the PC but the voltage conversion is done by whatever IC your device happens to use (1489, MAX232 etc).

Communication via USB doesn't need the +12V, so the supplied +5V should be sufficient.

Edited by Rybags

I don't have a USB interface to Atari so might be wrong:

The only lines connected on the Atari side should be GND, DATA IN, DATA OUT, COMMAND. If the interface device requires +5V power then it gets it either from the Atari or host (PC) side, but usually from the Atari.

In the case of USB, I would suspect the power should come from the PC side. Since there's plug/play taking place with the detect/disconnect stuff you have with USB, it makes much more sense to do it that way.

There should be no connection to +12V on the Atari. Sure, traditional SIO2PC via RS232 uses 12 Volt levels to communicate to the PC but the voltage conversion is done by whatever IC your device happens to use (1489, MAX232 etc).

Communication via USB doesn't need the +12V, so the supplied +5V should be sufficient.

I built the cable and Rybags is right :) I tested it on my 800XL before I shipped it but not on an 800 since mine is in the attic. 12V SIO line is definitely not connected to anything.

Update:

Got it to work on the 800 in the end, the software or driver seem exceedingly fussy, it simply refuses to swap from machine to machine in one sitting, booting up from a fresh PC seems the only way to be 100% sure and that's with clearing the settings for Aspeqt so I presume it may be the Virtual com driver more than anything.

Oh well, that's me 1000% happy now..Both Machines playing nicely...

On a side note, nothing to do with any cables or anything, I seem to have a semi transparent line rolling up the screen from bottom to top with nothing interconnected bar the monitor cable, I'm pretty sure its RF interference from the the 'pile' of PSU's I have here and the proximity of them and the other consoles here :)

And lastly, I have to praise Spookt for the superb quality of his SIO cable, it looks lovely, ultra professional as was Mimo's monitor lead, the skill of the Atari folk on here is superb, makes me proud to still be an old Atarian, from coding to design, you guys are brilliant!

Quick pass me a tissue :)

Update:

And lastly, I have to praise Spookt for the superb quality of his SIO cable, it looks lovely, ultra professional as was Mimo's monitor lead, the skill of the Atari folk on here is superb, makes me proud to still be an old Atarian, from coding to design, you guys are brilliant!

Quick pass me a tissue :)

Man, I'm filling up !

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad it works with the 800. That had me scratching my head. BTW - when playing with Aspect I noticed a message in the box at the bottom saying "Emulation stopped" at one point and had to click File->Start Emulation to get it going again. Perhaps this is related to your issue. Sorry I can't be more help but I don't use Aspect often.

Awww shucks, what sort of tv are you hooked up to? and how?

Sony Trinitron, I used the lead you made up and also a scart one I found loose in a bag..

Both the same issue...

I'm going to pull all the on PSU's and such like away from the Atari and see if it goes away during tomorrow Mike...

Reminds me, must take the pictures off the 8833 circuit boards for Candle to have a look at and see if he can diagnose a fault or any hints, meant to have done this last week...Oops..

Awww shucks, what sort of tv are you hooked up to? and how?

Sony Trinitron, I used the lead you made up and also a scart one I found loose in a bag..

Both the same issue...

I'm going to pull all the on PSU's and such like away from the Atari and see if it goes away during tomorrow Mike...

Reminds me, must take the pictures off the 8833 circuit boards for Candle to have a look at and see if he can diagnose a fault or any hints, meant to have done this last week...Oops..

Odd that you are experiencing a line on your display, I used to use a 28" Trinitron and never had any problems, I still have a 14" trinitron that I still use from time to time, and again no problems.

Do you experience the same line using both cables and both Atari's?

I tested the lead that I made for you on a 1084 and a 19"LCD TV and it was fine on both of those, fingers crossed it is some inteference from all your PSU's.

Any way to test on another TV?

• 6 months later...

AspeQt feature request and annoying behavior...

Would it be possible to implement something to start-up AspeQt with a COM-port parameter? I run it twice on the same PC but at closing the programs it remembers the settings of the last instance that was closed, which is not always my default one. And at the next start-up they're both using the exact same config, including the COM-port.

And now the annoyance, or a bug, don't know...

When copying real disks from a Speedy-1050 disk drive (D2:) to an ATR (D1:) AspeQt shows very annoying behavior. While reading the source disk AspeQt shows a "Cannot read command frame" and "Emulation stopped" somewhere halfway the read process. This results in a write error to the destination ATR as emulation has stopped. Restarting the emulation by clicking the icon on the bottom solves it and it continues like it never happened and formats and writes to the ATR at 3X speed without problems.

This is with all disks and different sector copiers and I think it's odd it errors out while not even reading from an ATR but from a real 1050 in stead.

Set-up:

AspeQt v0.6

Win XP SP3

Intel PII

16550 UART's

14C89 SIO2PC

DSR Handshake

Hi everybody,

some months ago I contacted Fatih. He's simply busy, which is also the reason for him not being present at this forum. Here's the quote.

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately I didn't have time to update AspeQt for more than a year now, mostly because of my job and some personal problems. I really don't know when I can start working on it again, if ever. Not that I don't want to, I do have some new ideas for improvement, mostly about getting the folder images to work under SpartaDosX and improving the image explorer.

Even though I can't reply all of the e-mails and AtariAge messages, I do archive them with the hope that I can address the requests, bug reports and other issues when I have more time.

Meanwhile, if other Atari enthusiasts want to takeover the project leadership (it's open source after all), I would be more than willing to help as a contributor.

Regards,

Fatih.

My first idea was that Hias would be a good choice (I'd voluteer as tester), but I knew he was busy finalizing the TurboFreezer and we all should keep the number of parallel projects low - know what I mean. But maybe he reads this now :-)

My first idea was that Hias would be a good choice (I'd voluteer as tester), but I knew he was busy finalizing the TurboFreezer and we all should keep the number of parallel projects low - know what I mean. But maybe he reads this now :-)

Yes, I'm reading this, but I'm already working on too many projects... But, anyways, if I should get bored and want to do something different, I'll let you know :)

so long,

Hias