IGNORED

Inside a light-sixer

mobipics

I bought this 2600 at a local garage sale for $5.00. It came with a dozen games, 2 joysticks, 2 paddles, but no power supply. I found an Atari brand PS at the Salvation Army and the game powered up. My question is this. If this is a light sixer, why the heavy aluminum shield? Also it sounds as if some light sixers were made in Sunnyvale as seen here. Any comments?

4791379617_202d03786e_b.jpg

4791379735_d345186cf9_b.jpg

4791379865_b23c89b1eb_b.jpg

All light sixers have that metal shield, and all 4 switchers too. The one in the heavy sixer is just heavier. And from what ive heard on here, some light sixers were made in sunnyvale, but it was the last version of the 2600 to be built there.

Edited by flammingcowz

All light sixers have that metal shield, and all 4 switchers too. The one in the heavy sixer is just heavier. And from what ive heard on here, some light sixers were made in sunnyvale, but it was the last version of the 2600 to be built there.

Read Post #8 and #9 in this thread. There were 4 switch woodys and apparently vaders made in Sunnyvale also.

Edited by shadowdoggie

Read Post #8 and #9 in this thread. There were 4 switch woodys and apparently vaders made in Sunnyvale also.

Thank you.

Umm, someone more experienced correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all Six-Switch Ataris have the heavier shielding? I thought they only started using the lighter shield in the single-board, 4-Switch models.

Furthermore, I was under the impression that the reason for the weight difference between a Heavy-6 and a Light-6 isn't the shielding, it's the plastic. The Heavy-6 had a ton more plastic in its bottom casing than the Light-6.

Again, I've personally seen the insides of precious few Ataris, so I invite correction from more experienced Atari fixers, etc.

-tet

[edit] Strategically added the word 'for' in the appropriate spot... [/edit]

Edited by tetrode kink

I haven't noticed much difference in the weight of the shielding in either model. The main difference was always the plastic outer shell. The Sunnyvale L6ers used the same internals as the H6ers. The ones made in other countries had the ch.2-3 switch and worse soldering IMO. After all this time, a lot of systems have had parts switched due to repairs either by Atari or individuals. So this won't always be the case. I'd guess the OP's system is all original to this point.

All light sixers have that metal shield, and all 4 switchers too. The one in the heavy sixer is just heavier.

No, the cast aluminum shielding is the same in the heavy sixers and light sixers. The four switchers have a thin sheet metal shielding that's the same in woodgrain and vader consoles. The juniors have sheet metal shielding too, but it's different from all the others.

Edited by A.J. Franzman