IGNORED

5200 connectors

hex65000

I'm working on a project that involves the 5200 and I need to find a source for some 15 pin connectors that will plug into the joystick ports and a good mate for the joystick controller. What I bought from Digikey is close, but it's not an ideal match. I'm currently trying to see if I can modify a backshell so that I can get the female connector to fit properly into the console. I was initially planning on using Monoprice to buy pre-fabbed cables and chop them as needed, however I didn't see what I was looking for.

So, if anyone knows of a good place where I can get better connectors (IE: a closer fit) let me know. Please note, cost is important. I can't afford to pay $10 per cable. There's already a bit of cost in the design as it stands.

Hex.

[ Is approaching the point where he will talk about this project more openly... :) ]

So, if anyone knows of a good place where I can get better connectors (IE: a closer fit) let me know. Please note, cost is important. I can't afford to pay $10 per cable. There's already a bit of cost in the design as it stands.

Is this what you were looking for?

Edited by Almost Rice

Used to someone made the cables with the solid molded black cable ends without the stupid screw things in them. It's not preventive in using it as a cable extension, or as a cable itself, unfortunately, it looks ugly as hell, especially if your making something to work with a device that doesn't have the screw holes for the screw to mount into.

Way back I bought some from somewhere that were the solid molded type, but then I ordered more and they sprouted the screw things.

Is this what you were looking for?

That type won't plug into the port securely because of all of the stuff that surrounds the "D".

I'm working on a project that involves the 5200 and I need to find a source for some 15 pin connectors that will plug into the joystick ports and a good mate for the joystick controller. What I bought from Digikey is close, but it's not an ideal match. I'm currently trying to see if I can modify a backshell so that I can get the female connector to fit properly into the console. I was initially planning on using Monoprice to buy pre-fabbed cables and chop them as needed, however I didn't see what I was looking for.

Hex.

[ Is approaching the point where he will talk about this project more openly... :) ]

Been there, done that search. I found 3 new-old-stock extension cables without the "ears" but was unable to find any more after that. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have solved this within reason using the best kind of force: Brute Force. :D

How did I do it? I'll post the answer soon enough.

Hex.

[ Also feels that the best kind of kill is OVERkill. ]

Is it soon enough yet?

My solution was going to involve a jig and a milling machine.

Edited by BigO

Oh, sorry.

I figured the interested parties had found this already.

Linky...

As a side note, a length of nylon snakeskin (Don't know the formal name for the stuff) makes the pair of cables look pretty pro. McMaster Carr to the rescue!

Hex.

[ Estimates cost to be close to that of the Best Electronics price at the end of the day. Not GREAT, but not bad either... ]