IGNORED

State of the Home-Brew scene

DZ-Jay

ATTENTION ALL INTELLIVISION PROGRAMMERS

I wanted to start a topic where we can keep track of the state of the various Intellivision home-brew projects so that the community is kept aware of, and excited over upcoming games.

I hereby invite all Intellivision programmers currently working on games (whether actively or passively) to mention their projects here. Game descriptions and screenshots are welcomed too.

I'm sure everyone understands that most of us do this as a hobby and that release dates are sometimes impossible to pin-point with any accuracy, but at least we can let everyone know that the Intellivision is still alive and kicking, and that great games are on their way.

If you feel compelled to maintain secrecy about your game concept as to not spoil the surprise, that's fine; I wish then that you at least mention that you're working on a project. Any additional hints would be appreciated, I'm sure!

I will try to compile a list of the projects and their status and update it as I can.

Cheers!

-dZ.

COMING SOON TO A CART NEAR YOU:

• Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Present: I'm actively working on the finishing touches and spit and polish of my first game. It now has multiple levels, multi-coloured sprites, and better music and graphics.
    post-27318-0-24814200-1305113231_thumb.gifpost-27318-0-81811200-1305113250_thumb.gifpost-27318-0-98215900-1305113468_thumb.gif

• I'm already working on a design for a new original game that I aim to release late in 2012 (hopefully).

OTHER PROJECTS:

• My port of a popular 1980s arcade game is also on its way for the end of the year. It is currently on hold while I finish Christmas Carol. I probably won't release it in cart due to obvious licensing pitfalls, but the ROM will be available to all.

Edited by DZ-Jay

FUBAR

This is being made by a guy called Pingaso. I think it is coming out on a cart as well.

Here is info: My link

fubar1.gif?t=1305308501

fubar.gif?t=1305308500

Same Game & Robots

This is back in development. Expect a cart release from Intelligentvision.

Here is info: My link

samegame_and_robots.gif

Edited by revolutionika

Rick Dynamite

This has been in development for a while. Should make it to cart hopefully soon.

Here is more info: My link

Here is a screenshot:

stick.gif

hi

it is 4 years at least I hear of that. just the time to play 20 new homebrew games for Colecovision....

mmmm..what shall we do to get it ? money problems ? do the homebrewer need a payment in advance to help him completing this game that seem so interesting ?

Intellivision programmer I can pay my copy in advance and the same all other Int. fans I think, please let us know.

Max

Rick Dynamite

This has been in development for a while. Should make it to cart hopefully soon.

Here is a screenshot:

stick.gif

hi

it is 4 years at least I hear of that. just the time to play 20 new homebrew games for Colecovision....

mmmm..what shall we do to get it ? money problems ? do the homebrewer need a payment in advance to help him completing this game that seem so interesting ?

Intellivision programmer I can pay my copy in advance and the same all other Int. fans I think, please let us know.

Max

This is one of Arnauld's games that I believe Joe will be publishing. My understanding is that he has made some progress on the game, not sure if there is a release schedule though. This is one that I'd definitely be purchasing...oh, let's be honest, if it's INTV related I'll pretty much buy anything.:D

Why not some Activision ports like:

Crackpots

Spider Fighter

Keystone Kapers

Megamania

HERO

Frostbite

Enduro

Space Shuttle

Robot Tank

Or:

Arkanoid

Ms Pac Man

Qix

Hmmmm...

It seems that every time a new programmer arrives at the scene the first thing he or she wants to do is a port of a classic game (I also fell for this). I guess it seems easier since the concept and mechanics are well understood, and the artwork is already developed. However, brand new concepts are what bring out the best of the platform, and what really excites one to make games.

There's a bunch of games that I know I can enhance by re-making them with modern techniques (and the lack of a marketing-driven deadline)--a favorite idea of mine is a version of Utopia with improved AI, graphics, and accurate input handling--but I know that time spent on a port is time I don't get to let my creativity soar and work on an original concept.

I wish there was time for everything, I really do.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

Rick Dynamite

Here is a screenshot:

stick.gif

hi

Max

It's not money, it's time. If one could only find a way to have enough time to do everything one wants to do (and this includes not only making games, but enjoying your life and your family, as well as other responsibilities)...

-dZ.

Rick Dynamite

Here is a screenshot:

stick.gif

hi

Max

Max,

I understand your frustration, but the biggest problem is that the community of home-brew Intellivision programmers is just not that big. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to attract as much as the Stella, Colecovision, and even NES platforms. Those games listed here are the work of just a handful of programmers.

You can't throw a small pebble, blind-folded, without hitting ten people who owned an Atari VCS when they were kids in the 1980s. The Intellivision, on the other hand, is much less known. When talking about my hobby to friends and colleagues, I find myself having to precede every conversation with, "do you remember the Atari? Well back in the day there was another console, the Intellivision, from Mattel..." and they invariably just nod and respond with "uh, yeah, I think I remember that."

I've rattled my brain trying to come up with ideas on how to attract more programmers, but the truth is that only nostalgia and passion will do it, and the Intellivision following--albeit very passionate indeed--is just not as large as others, so the pool of potential programmers is much smaller.

Now, I'm new to the community myself, but I have an interest in seeing it grow: the dream I had since I was a kid involved not only making games, but becoming rich and famous at it; so the larger the community, the merrier. (just kidding!) :)

-dZ.

I personally like that homebrews for the INTV come out slowly. The people that have done them have kept the retro feel of the system in mind and they have not skimped on anything, including the box, manual and overlays, which is important to me as a collector. I really like all of the homebrews taht have come out for the system as the "fit" the entire collection.

I think if the market becomes a bit saturated with homebrews, they would lose the feeling of being unique and special. Each homebrew in my collection feels like a part of the history of Intellivision and it gives people something to talk about in the community.

It's also exciting to see all the possible new games which may be coming out.

To all the people who have put a homebrew together so the Intellivision community has something "new", Thanks! To all those who are currently working on something and hope to release it someday, keep it up! We're all waiting with baited breath. :)

Dryfter

Rick Dynamite

Here is a screenshot:

stick.gif

hi

Max

Max,

I understand your frustration, but the biggest problem is that the community of home-brew Intellivision programmers is just not that big. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to attract as much as the Stella, Colecovision, and even NES platforms. Those games listed here are the work of just a handful of programmers.

You can't throw a small pebble, blind-folded, without hitting ten people who owned an Atari VCS when they were kids in the 1980s. The Intellivision, on the other hand, is much less known. When talking about my hobby to friends and colleagues, I find myself having to precede every conversation with, "do you remember the Atari? Well back in the day there was another console, the Intellivision, from Mattel..." and they invariably just nod and respond with "uh, yeah, I think I remember that."

I've rattled my brain trying to come up with ideas on how to attract more programmers, but the truth is that only nostalgia and passion will do it, and the Intellivision following--albeit very passionate indeed--is just not as large as others, so the pool of potential programmers is much smaller.

Now, I'm new to the community myself, but I have an interest in seeing it grow: the dream I had since I was a kid involved not only making games, but becoming rich and famous at it; so the larger the community, the merrier. (just kidding!) :)

-dZ.

Hi dZ

In Italy it was not so. Atari and Intellivision were THE 2 consoles and still in late 1983 electronic and videogame magazines were full of letters from fans that were defending Atari (2600) or Intellivision. Colecovision arrived here when homecomputers were already very well based and no had really a big base here. For sure in Italy people remember much more THE Intellivision than the Atari. I have no idea, not being a football fan, it it was for the extremely good and detailed Soccer. In Italy a lot of collectors and also a lot of related products on Ebay etc. Ask one guy which console he remember and he will reply : Intellivision ! So I was really surprised being access to the web in late 90's to know the Intellivision was so forgotten in the US. ...Hope one day wind will change there...

ciao

Max

So I was really surprised being access to the web in late 90's to know the Intellivision was so forgotten in the US. ...Hope one day wind will change there...

ciao

Max

I hope so too. The thing is that the United States is a very large place, and even if the Intellivision was very popular and successful, it still occupied a (very) distant second place behind the Atari VCS, both in install-base, and in popularity. As I remember, it was also much more expensive.

I'm glad that the Intellivision is very popular in Italy. I don't know much about sports, so at least I won't be working on sports-related titles, but I hope the home-brew games we're making satisfy your expectations.

Regards,

-dZ.

So I was really surprised being access to the web in late 90's to know the Intellivision was so forgotten in the US. ...Hope one day wind will change there...

ciao

Max

I hope so too. The thing is that the United States is a very large place, and even if the Intellivision was very popular and successful, it still occupied a (very) distant second place behind the Atari VCS, both in install-base, and in popularity. As I remember, it was also much more expensive.

I'm glad that the Intellivision is very popular in Italy. I don't know much about sports, so at least I won't be working on sports-related titles, but I hope the home-brew games we're making satisfy your expectations.

Regards,

-dZ.

Whether an homebrewer interested I can act as yr. sole customer for Italy or also for Europe because I am very well connected to gamers of my age (I am 43) that have NO time/interest/connection with other fangroups or Ebay or events and therefore do simply think Intellivision dead 20 years ago and would certainly buy some new games.

I can only suggest homebrewers to create good arcade conversions or totally new games but TO AVOID games like Tetris etc. Games like these we have free on our mobiles...nostalgia for Intellivision is one thing, 30 bucks for playing Tetris on Intellivision a totally different thing, nonsense. Pls check what Opcode/TeamPixelboy and Collectorvision are doing for the Colecovision....wow or the terrible VCS2600 with a gem like Juno First, doublewow.

One thing I remember, back in the day, all the jocks in High School had an Intellivision, for the sports games of course.All the nerds had a 2600, and all the snobby kids had a ColecoVision.Anyway, I sure do wish Intellivision had a bigger Home-Brew scene.

• 2 weeks later...

You can preorder Donkey Kong now:

My link

Dude! I was literally posting the same thing at the same time in the DK thread when my Wi-fi connection went down in my hotel. Rev, could you post the same link in that thread too, it's a pain to copy and paste links on an iPad. This is awesome news, you can see screenshots of all four levels and a pic of the Intelligentvision box as well! I believe there will be a hundred copies made(don't quote me on that) so get yourself signed up for the mailing list now. My feeling is if this sells well this will not be the only INTV home brew we see this year. :)

My link

Dude! I was literally posting the same thing at the same time in the DK thread when my Wi-fi connection went down in my hotel. Rev, could you post the same link in that thread too, it's a pain to copy and paste links on an iPad. This is awesome news, you can see screenshots of all four levels and a pic of the Intelligentvision box as well! I believe there will be a hundred copies made(don't quote me on that) so get yourself signed up for the mailing list now. My feeling is if this sells well this will not be the only INTV home brew we see this year. :)

check your email....i got an email saying there will be 4 released this year. icon_mrgreen.gif

My link

check your email....i got an email saying there will be 4 released this year. icon_mrgreen.gif

;) I know, I was just " creating interest". Lol. Neither Rev nor I are connected to this release, we are both just very excited about it. It has been 4 years since there was an INTV home brew release, exciting times. This is a great looking game, I can't wait.