IGNORED

HSC8 Round 10: Up the Creek!

I don't quite understand the "River Rat is joystick" comment. Do you want us to play it with a joystick, or up the creek with paddles? Don't you just use the buttons anyway?

I was emphasising that this game does not support paddles (though it would be perfect for conversion) and that anyone could play it :)

Kaboom: 443! (This game is just unplayable with the mouse/trackpad, but I might be able to eek out a few more points.)

Ok (trbb opening can of HSC worms)... everyone if you have an emulator/mouse and a game is totally unplayable, or you have an XE only and have serious paddle control issues; you can play with joystick or keyboard. As it stands there is a 50% scoring reduction but I may adjust this (75% :evil: ) once I see how the scores compare... (remember to say if you are not using paddles when you post).

Table Updated

I don't quite understand the "River Rat is joystick" comment. Do you want us to play it with a joystick, or up the creek with paddles? Don't you just use the buttons anyway?

I was emphasising that this game does not support paddles (though it would be perfect for conversion) and that anyone could play it :)

Kaboom: 443! (This game is just unplayable with the mouse/trackpad, but I might be able to eek out a few more points.)

Ok (trbb opening can of HSC worms)... everyone if you have an emulator/mouse and a game is totally unplayable, or you have an XE only and have serious paddle control issues; you can play with joystick or keyboard. As it stands there is a 50% scoring reduction but I may adjust this (75% :evil: ) once I see how the scores compare... (remember to say if you are not using paddles when you post).

Table Updated

I'll have to try it with the keyboard, but I'm not sure that would improve my score. ;)

Edited by Deteacher

So, the old Clowns vs Balloons game eh? I remember this one :) As I recall it wasn't about the scores so much as the number of times you could bounce our Romper-suited hero off the walls before gravity kicked in

I was trying to beat 3 when disaster struck, so 44,800 (keyboard handicap giving me a meagre 22,400)

Not sure I like where you're going with the non-paddle player scoring - I've added a handicap to my gaming by doing so with beer in hand and no glasses on, whilst headbanging to a Last Night of the Proms recording of the Sailors Hornpipe. Personally I think I should be ADDING 50% - 75 is just being greedy!

Thanks to Philsan, my paddles are working under Altirra with the Stelladaptor. It's a little shaky (not because they need to be cleaned.) I think they're just a little too sensitive, but I can definitely work with them. Here's a new Kaboom score from me: 1,274! Small paddles.

post-9712-0-34883500-1308251615_thumb.png

Downhill - Intermediate: 44.75!

post-9712-0-56281400-1308251662_thumb.png

I can't keep this to myself. That wouldn't be right, so I'm paying it forward. Here is the input mapping for Altirra and the Stelladaptor:

"You should add a new input map, add paddle A controller, add mappings Axis 1 = Joy Axis 1H, Button 1 = Joy Button 1, add paddle B controller, add mappings Axis 1 = Joy Axis 1 V, Button 1 = Joy Button 2."

You can thank Philsan. I deserve no credit for this. Thanks, Philsan! :)

I can't keep this to myself. That wouldn't be right, so I'm paying it forward. Here is the input mapping for Altirra and the Stelladaptor:

"You should add a new input map, add paddle A controller, add mappings Axis 1 = Joy Axis 1H, Button 1 = Joy Button 1, add paddle B controller, add mappings Axis 1 = Joy Axis 1 V, Button 1 = Joy Button 2."

I realized too late that you are in second place of the HSC!

On the other hand, Jason will have no advantages in this round...

I am glad my tip was useful.

• Like 1

You can fix that one when you've made Juggler not need the 800 translator ;)

Yeah see the attachment. Juggler for XL/XE ...

that was an easy one. I only had to change TWO bytes.

p.s. I see you've cracked Spy's Demise now what about those clues anyone :?:

For me the trick was: hooking up an Atari 600XL and leave the Atari 800XE for what it is... till july 5th, then I'm on the 800XE again AND grabbing a fresh, brandnew pair of paddles.

It is still a very hard game, but now at least I can play it without the troubles I had before.

The trick in the game is: find the 'breakpoint' of your padlle controler, where just a slight turn to the left, or to the right is needed to change direction of the player.

Do NEVER turn the paddle more than just a very small move. Then you can move very accurate, and wiggling is rather easy too then.

Another thing I do now is moving left and right all the time. Keep moving is better. I need a certain 'feel' with the player, so when a movement is REALLY needed I can do it.

Last tip:

practice the wiggling. Walk behind the second 'elevator' and start wiggling in between the 2nd and third elevator. That is a very good exercise. I have done it for at least one hour.

Now I try to improve!

Greetz

M.

p.s. I'll try to fix that PADDLE setting thing in LiveWire too.

Edited by Marius1976

I realized too late that you are in second place of the HSC!

On the other hand, Jason will have no advantages in this round...

I am glad my tip was useful.

What's funny is that I got so used to using the mouse as a paddle, I have to relearn how to play using the paddles now. Scores aren't improving much...yet. ;)

I'm so confused. I've been playing River Rat with paddles, using only the buttons. One button makes the ship go right, the other makes the ship go left. Is this not the way to play it? I'll break out the joysticks tomorrow night and give it another try that way.

A correction for the high scores table. As much as I'd like a 2098 on Breakout prog I've only got 1378 unfortunately

My table predicts future scores :-o

I was trying to beat 3 when disaster struck, so 44,800 (keyboard handicap giving me a meagre 22,400)

Let me know if this score wasn't on 'advanced' ;)

I'm so confused. I've been playing River Rat with paddles, using only the buttons. One button makes the ship go right, the other makes the ship go left. Is this not the way to play it? I'll break out the joysticks tomorrow night and give it another try that way.

Well littleman you'll soon be enjoying the joystick button's changing gear feature and high speed River Rattery (plus the 1000pts per ramp) ;) (Sorry, I forgot about the left right paddle button thingy, bet that was hard to play like that, like the dedication to the theme!!)

You can fix that one when you've made Juggler not need the 800 translator ;)

Yeah see the attachment. Juggler for XL/XE ...

that was an easy one. I only had to change TWO bytes.

Excellent job Marius, 1 bonus HSC point for that :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See Post #117 for the non translator version of Juggler

Thanks guys, this is a major step forward in paddle kind :thumbsup: 1 bonus HSC point for Philsan too. (see you got no credit :P ) I've mailed Goochman to let him know.

[are you sure these are the paddle mappings and not joystick mappings :?: - please confirm in clowns and ballons on 'P' paddle mode that they zip across the screen if you move them quickly :?:

For tilter you may have to use atari800win+4.0 to emualte both paddles on the mouse - I posted on the altirra thread about this but no reply last time I checked, maybe you guys can get to the bottom of this :ponder: ]

ANYONE USING THE EMULATOR AND STELLADAPTOR CAN HOOK UP REAL PADDLES :cool:

Bagged another set of paddles from ebay for a tenner delivered, nice and smooth on the XL. Managed to get the extra man at 1K on Kaboom! Did much better on Livewire and small improvements on S.B.Prog and Jugg. Wavy Navy had a bash on the ATR full version - with the choppers firing (link on Post 2, click on ATR), after several goes beat my best score, excellent game sort of Galaxianesque :cool:

Wavy Navy 4,330 Crewchief

Kaboom! 1,063

Livewire 15,800

Super Breakout Prog 942

Juggler 27,450

post-19705-0-27150400-1308304620_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-43197500-1308304629_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-94091800-1308304638_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-35521000-1308304646_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-96373400-1308304654_thumb.jpg