IGNORED

ALL Atari 2600 Hacks As Of September 2012

mtshark7

So I recently noticed the Atari 2600 hacks secion on this site and decided to put them all on my Harmony cart to try them out.

It took me a while to download ALL the games and unzip ALL the files. So I decided to put all the games on one .zip file to share with people on here if they are interested in playing them on the Harmony rather than unzipping all 297 files.

Also while downloading I found 3 games that have file missing or missing URL to download:

Borg Wars IV

Suicide Adventure II

X3VeLuX

Enjoy! :-)

-Mark

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (Sept 2012).zip

Edited by Mark T
  • Like 4

Hey Mark,

Thanks for sharing this...keep in mind though that section is very outdated. There are a slew of hacks missing from that section.

Looking quickly at the zip file you posted...

Berzerk Arcade VE & [New Mazes] & [More New Mazes]

Bloody Human Freeway

Donkey Kong Escapes

HERO (Game 5 Hack)

Ms. Hack-em

Luigi's Lunchbreak & [Higher Jumps]

Lily's Woods

Pitfall 2 Plus

Ptfall II (Invincible Hack)

Pitfall III - Harry Jr.

Shopping Spree

Tarsan's Rescue

Tomb Raider [Classic] & [Modern] & [underworld]

Xenophobe "Numerous"

...I believe are missing.

There is more...But honestly at this point, updating the Hacks section for the 2600 would be a pretty big project for anyone to undertake.

***UPDATE***

Soo right now I'm painstakingly going through the Atari 2600 Hacks board and downloading ALL of the hacks posted. I started sorting through them as I go along as well. Right now I have gotten to page 9...Once done I'll try and upload an updated .zip file with the rest of the missing hacks.

Also FYI Post #2 and #4 hacks are already on board :)

• Like 2

Nice project. :)

It can only be a good thing for the community to know of all the hacks out there. You never know what gems have been missed over the years...

Maybe I should try something similar with homebrew games. :idea:

• Like 1

Impaler_26: I tried the link and it didn’t work? I dunno if it’s my computer or not…I did find this download: Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2b_sorted.zip, not sure if that’s the one you are referring to?

Snstay: Thanks for the link, I got them downloaded

All: Here is an updated file that includes the two games in post #2, I was going to have them mixed in with the next file with ALL of the unofficial hacks but they wouldn’t add for some odd reason.

I’m still chugging along…as of now I’m starting page 12. What a crazy project I decided to do, haha.

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (Sept 2012) V1.zip

• Like 1

Impaler_26: I tried the link and it didn’t work? I dunno if it’s my computer or not…I did find this download: Hacks_and_Homebrews_V1.2b_sorted.zip, not sure if that’s the one you are referring to?

Strange, the link works fine for me! Then just download Hacks and Homebrews V1.2b, it contains all the hacks i have in the other file except for the few i have attached here:

Pac-Man_Black.bin

Pac-Man_Black_Supercharger.bin

Pikachu Smash (Zombie Chase Hack) (2008) (Davis Remmel).bin

Strange, the link works fine for me! Then just download Hacks and Homebrews V1.2b, it contains all the hacks i have in the other file except for the few i have attached here:

Pac-Man_Black.bin

Pac-Man_Black_Supercharger.bin

Pikachu Smash (Zombie Chase Hack) (2008) (Davis Remmel).bin

what is this zombie chase game? I have never heard of this game

Glad to see that the OP has Impaler_26's Hacks & Homebrews file, since otherwise you'd be seriously reinventing the wheel!

What I'd love to see is a site that has a page for each of the original releases, listing all the known hacks for each release (with CRC codes or something similar) and, most importantly, describing what's been hacked and making a recommendation as to whether it's worth downloading.

But that'd be a hell of a project! Still, we could really use something like that -- especially for PAL > NTSC conversions, since there are multiple versions around of some of those games, and some conversions are definitely better than others.

So apparently I tried un-zipping the Hacks & Homebrews file and out of the three different files I had; they couldn't find alot of the files and only unzipped like 25% of all the hacks on that file.

So luckily I was still chugging along and FINALLY downloaded ALL the hacks from all the 24 pages!!!

So today I grouped them all into one folder and added the folder to a .zip file and it ended up being 9.5 MB which sucks cos I can only upload 2MB max at a time (You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 2MB)).

I don't think I have ALL the hacks cos some were hosted on sites that don't exist anymore and others had corrupted .zip files.

Is there anyway I can upload this file on here?

Edited by Mark T

The hacks and homebrews file is not corrupt, so your download must be. I have downloaded the file a couple of times and not had a problem extracting everything in it. Give it another go.

To upload the archive here, just do it in parts. Either zip up sections less than 2MB or use something like hjsplit on the single archive (method 1 probably preferable)

So apparently I tried un-zipping the Hacks & Homebrews file and out of the three different files I had; they couldn't find alot of the files and only unzipped like 25% of all the hacks on that file.

That's probably because of the long filenames. If you have the zip-file in a few subfolders the names of some files might just be too long for Windows. I had that happen a few times with Windows XP, i dunno how it is with other versions of Windows.

Here is the hacks and hombrews 1.2b archive. There were a few hacks in the wrong folders, so I moved the ones I was aware of. Also, I added the 3 files Impaler posted above. That's all I changed about the archive. I've added nothing recent or anything.

I had to rename the files in order to upload them here. Just remove the ".txt" extension and unpack with 7zip. Winrar will also unpack these if you combine them first. Since there are only minor differences between the many hacks of each game, 7zip is the best way I know of to pack these.

hacks and homebrews v. 1.2b (sorted).7z.001.txt

hacks and homebrews v. 1.2b (sorted).7z.002.txt

• Like 1

Implaler_26: Ahh that's why it's not working! Stupid XP! Gonna copy what I have on a disc and move it onto my other laptop with win vista.

KevinMos3: Sweet thanks for sharing!

Once I get my hacks transfered on vista I'll go and compare what the hacks and homebrews file has with what I currently have. I'm hoping I will have everything current and up to date.

snstay: LOL nice!

All: I have FINALLY completed updating ALL of the hacks! I have broke them down into a 10 part .rar file (change the .txt to .rar, since AA won't allow you to upload .rar files)

Lemme know what you think :)

It has been a HUGE project from copying all the hack files on all 24 pages in the Atari 2600 Hacks section, then adding everyone's compilation of hacks and combining them into one huge folder

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part01.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part02.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part03.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part04.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part05.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part06.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part07.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part08.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part09.txt

ALL ATARI 2600 HACKS (10-02-2012).part10.txt

• Like 2