IGNORED

I just got a new copy of Towers II

Gunstar

Well, my copy of Towers II arrived in the post today, and here are my impressions. I got a limited addition box, which is as good or better than the original box that came with it when I had it years ago. I got a full-color cartridge label, better quality than the black and red labels, the manual is slightly smaller that the original release, but also a better quality print. This product is an improvment over the original release from the 90's in every way. Anyone who thinks Telegames current games look cheap or shoddy are morons, plain and simple, sorry if your are a moron. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about these releases, they have only improved in every way.

I couldn't be happier and I highly recommend anyone interested in Telegames releases to get them now, while they still are superior-than-original-release. I'm glad I sold off my Telegames releases, knowing what I buy back again from Telegames is an improvement! Thank you Telegames!

post-149-0-99839500-1362165719_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-17113400-1362166007_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-27339400-1362166030_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

Correction: morons over pay for crappy Jag games and then publicly brag about it. ;-)

On a serious note, I don't think being concerned about the quality of a $100+ product is moronic. Especially when talking about Jaguar stuff. This particular system is very investment centric, so what if it turns out that the latest Telegames releases actually depreciate in value vs. the original releases? If you're buying a game just to play and don't care about resale values (that you think you're convinced of at this point and time) - that's perfectly fine. Just saying.

those who are interested in the game but who were a little hesitant to buy the reprint in light of some recent speculation that the telegames re-relases were of poor quality (as per this thread) i'm sure will appreciate the information. if you intend to buy the game (as a collector or a gamer) and there are two prints and one is of higher quality i would think it wise to pick up the higher quality one given the costs are similar :) Note at $120 the reprint is definitely similar to the price that it was selling for when it was out of print.

Edited by Willard

those who are interested in the game but who were a little hesitant to buy the reprint in light of some recent speculation that the telegames re-relases were of poor quality (as per this thread) i'm sure will appreciate the information. if you intend to buy the game (as a collector or a gamer) and there are two prints and one is of higher quality i would think it wise to pick up the higher quality one given the costs are similar :) Note at $120 the reprint is definitely similar to the price that it was selling for when it was out of print.

No. If you are hesitant to buy get a used copy for Windows for $5 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Towers-II-Plight-Stargazer-PC/dp/B000AUVJ4Q/

No. If you are hesitant to buy get a used copy for Windows for $5 bucks.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B000AUVJ4Q/

i did not say "if you are hestitant to buy the game because you think it might be bad, the information gunstar provided will be useful to you."

To paraphrase I wrote "if you are hesistant to buy a reprint out of concern that it might be of lower quality than the initial print then the information gunstar provided will be useful to you" ;)

When was it ever out of print? It's certainly been available to order from Telegames for the last couple of years.

for a while the telegames site didn't even let you proceed to the shop and prior to that they even quit offering their retro games for sale for a short while (there was a brief period where a liquidator was selling off telegames merchandise in rather large quantities on ebay).

Edited by Willard

for a while the telegames site didn't even let you proceed to the shop and prior to that they even quit offering their retro games for sale for a short while (there was a brief period where a liquidator was selling off telegames merchandise in rather large quantities on ebay).

When the website was down about 1-2 years ago they were still taking orders, just over e-mail or the phone.

Edited by averybluemonkey

When the website was down about 1-2 years ago they were still taking orders, just over e-mail or the phone.

they may have been taking orders because they have inventory in games for alot of systems, but you know for sure that they had the specific titles in stock that they are reprinting now because you asked them repeatedly every time they were not advertised for sale?

i ask where you get your information because of a message telegames was sending out to people who ordered towers 2 at one point ;) I also sold a couple telegames releases to a guy in the UK a while back who said that telegames did not have them for sale when i asked why he didn't just buy from them.

i don't think anyone knows for sure the intervals at which these games were offered for sale besides possibly telegames themselves but I know that certain titles have been intermittently out of print for what i gather to be rather lengthy amounts of time.

Hi

Apologies for the delay in despatching your order - as you may know we manufacture these items ourselves but are currently out of stock. This is our error of course but we are currently in the middle of the manufacturing process so it will be another eight weeks before this item can be sent to you.

If you are willing to wait you will receive it at the price you paid (we are raising it to £69.99 for the next batch). Let us know if this is acceptable ASAP.

Regards

Telegames

Edited by Willard

Geeze...where do I start...I would have replied sooner if I hadn't been enjoying actually playing Towers II for 8 hours yesterday and another 4 this morning, still far from finished, but that's good, I'm having too much fun.

Maybe I'm a moron for paying $120 for a game, though not only do I think it's good, it's one of my top 5 Jaguar games. So one man's trash is another's treasure as the saying goes. But it's all a matter of perspective; for $120 I have a mint game that will retain it's value and if past history is an indicator will only increase in value, possibly exponentially. It's an investment. Can anyone say the last time they went out on the town and spent over a hundred on dinner and a movie with someone wasn't moronic too, if I'm a moron for what I bought? At least I can keep mine indefinately and sell it for a profit, can that be done with that dinner and a movie? Or, I think people who buy bottled water are morons, it's been proven tap water is just as healthy (in most cases (areas), of course there are exceptions), but they still buy bottle water, spending hundreds a year, pissing it away, literally. Several companies have actually been caught using tap water in water labeled "pure spring water." Perspective.

Besides, the higher pricing is an obvious result of the exchange rate and the weak dollar right now, if it was 5 years ago, when the dollar was much stronger, before the recession, it would be less than $100 for sure, it's still far less than a hundred euros. Americans are paying far more for everything these days, especially imports like Telegames and oil. Not that the Europe isn't suffering too, they are, but our current administration is even more insane printing trillions and thus reducing the value of each dollar dramatically.

As to if Towers II is worth it, again, a matter of opinion. I love it, some don't. So what to expect? Don't expect a JRPG, it isn't, thank God. Don't expect an Epic RPG world, it isn't. It's a classic Dungeon crawler in the tradition of 80's computer RPG's like Dungeon Master or Chaos Reigns, it's just got 90's FPS graphics.

Better than Wolfenstein 3D, not as good as AvP, and the life-forms are done as well as Doom's with 8 different angles and several frames of animation. The frame rate is better than Avp and Doom, about as good as Wolfenstein (except when in run mode on W3D), but totally textured including floors and ceilings.

It has depth, with a main mission/story, and lots of mini quests to go on in-between. It's very similiar to the 3DO's Dungeon's and Dragons games Slayer and Deathkeep, and gameplay-wise I find better than Slayer, and not quite as good as Deathkeep. And these three games are my favorite RPG's on consoles, not to simplistic, and not too overwhelmingly complex. An action RPG leaning toward traditional D&D RPG style play.

Edited by Gunstar

Thought I'd add in that I also am glad to have added it to my collection, no matter the cost. There's no other way it was ever going to get into my collection, I enjoy the game (reminding me a bit of Arena and Daggerfall a bit in the graphics dept), and I have certainly spent that much and more on far less worthy experiences. So is it worth it? If you collect for the Jag and enjoy RPGs, absolutely! :-)

they may have been taking orders because they have inventory in games for alot of systems, but you know for sure that they had the specific titles in stock that they are reprinting now because you asked them repeatedly every time they were not advertised for sale?

i ask where you get your information because of a message telegames was sending out to people who ordered towers 2 at one point ;) I also sold a couple telegames releases to a guy in the UK a while back who said that telegames did not have them for sale when i asked why he didn't just buy from them.

I'm just saying because when the website went down between 1-2 years ago loads of people were on here saying Telegames had stopped trading, just because the website was missing, which was untrue as I was buying stuff from them at that time. Sure you had to wait a bit for your order but they were still being made and produced, it was just a delay, which is completely different to being out of print and unavailable.

I put my orders in about a month before the website went down, and yes some of the items were out of stock, and they were in the process of sorting out a new batch. All told it took about 7 months due to delays on another company's side but during the website down time my e-mails were being replied to on a timely basis and being kept up to date with the state of production. By the time my order arrived they'd migrated to the new store format.

I was only referring to this period over the last 2 years when their hasn't appeared to be any break in their manufacturing of these games, hence why I asked if people were referring to some earlier time when they weren't being made. Certainly this style of packaging of Towers 2 was what they were sending out well over a year ago (with orders being taken in the preceeding months),

I was only referring to this period over the last 2 years when their hasn't appeared to be any break in their manufacturing of these games

When was it ever out of print? It's certainly been available to order from Telegames for the last couple of years.

as per this thread it is mentioned that someone noticed that towers 2 was not available for a time leading up to this year but could be preordered (which i'm guessing manifested in the recent "limited edition"). it is also mentioned that efforts to contact them were unsuccesful. and technically the initial variation is "out of print" because the new edition is packaged differently.

& someone should tell telegames that the status of their recent reprints is still pre-order on their site :P

Edited by Willard

One person said they hadn't had an answer to their e-mails and for all we know they may have just been impatient, it's not like this is a big business for him. Like I said this version of the game has been what they have been selling for the last 2 years, it has nothing to do with the latest production batch. In fact as per the poster my packaging felt like it was very old and the cartridge was brand new, I'd imagine all the packaging and labels are old materials.

And if something's available for pre-order - it is still in print, just out of stock. I don't think updating their website is a high priority, we're lucky they have the time to source production at all frankly. If someone wants to order they should just send an e-mail.

In fact as per the poster my packaging felt like it was very old and the cartridge was brand new, I'd imagine all the packaging and labels are old materials.

what are you talking about? the box, manual, and cartridge label are all distinctly different from the original print.

And if something's available for pre-order - it is still in print, just out of stock.

if you want to super-scrutinize to the highest degree something that is "available to order" is different than something that is "available to pre-order."

and if first edition materials are no longer being printed and have been replaced by second edition materials then a first edition is technically out of print.

it's evident you do not know the timeline of availablility, yes maybe you could have ordered certain rare jaguar games from them but Towers 2 and certain other titles have been unavailable for longer periods of time.

Edited by Willard

what are you talking about? the box, manual, and cartridge label are all distinctly different from the original print.

I think he mixed up the threads where Towers is being talked about, in the other thread the topic starter said the staples were rusty on the manuals, but that wasn't even Towers they were refering too, but Worms and IS2 CD.

if you want to super-scrutinize to the highest degree something that is "available to order" is different than something that is "available to pre-order."

and if first edition materials are no longer being printed and have been replaced by second edition materials then a first edition is technically out of print.

it's evident you do not know the timeline of availablility, yes maybe you could have ordered certain rare jaguar games from them but Towers 2 and certain other titles have been unavailable for longer periods of time.

I wonder how many people reading this feel the importance of the argument meets the level of passion. :ponder:

• Like 2

I wonder how many people reading this feel the importance of the argument meets the level of passion. :ponder:

most entering this thread i think would expect to see a few posts thanking gunstar for sharing some information, but alas this is the Jaguar forum :lol:

and fwiw i do not think an argument could get any more frivolous myself, but imo that applies to most arguments around here

Edited by Willard

most entering this thread i think would expect to see a few posts thanking gunstar for sharing some information, but alas this is the Jaguar forum :lol:

and fwiw i do not think an argument could get any more frivolous myself, but imo that applies to most arguments around here

It's might fault with the tone I started with, calling those who complained about Telegames "reprint" releases morons. But really, after seeing a very good quality product, better than ever from Telegames, I found the complaints so ridiculous I let my emotion get the better of me. :-o

I wasn't aware we were having an argument. If some people have interpreted it as that I think they are being a bit oversensitive.

I merely provided the information that at least for the last two years people have been able to order this product at any time from the company that makes it and inquired if it was unavailable to order in the years prior to this.

I thought it worth mentioning as in the past some posters have incorrectly tried to portray Telegames as unavailable to order from. The reason I thought it was worth posting is because:

1. Some may be concerned that this batch is rare or a one off, and feel pressurised to buy it while it's available for fear of missing out. But they don't need to as they can order when it's convenient for them from the source.
  2. Making out that it has been hard to obtain this in recent years gives people the impression it's rarer than it is (it isn't as the owner is still manufacturing them), this causes eBay prices to go up and leads to the kind of horrible price gouging that's rampant for the Jaguar.

• Like 2

I wasn't aware we were having an argument. If some people have interpreted it as that I think they are being a bit oversensitive.

it could also be considered overly sensitive to not feel that the posts between us were an argument, which by definition is "a discussion involving differing points of view." but then to point that out would just be nitpicking :lol:

and i don't think we can agree but i can only cite the facts that are available ;)

however as per your post:

The reason I thought it was worth posting is because:

1. Making out that it has been hard to obtain this in recent years gives people the impression it's rarer than it is (it isn't as the owner is still manufacturing them), this causes eBay prices to go up and leads to the kind of horrible price gouging that's rampant for the Jaguar.

why on earth would ebay prices rise in response to this thead which inherantly informs people that more copies are available? i don't think that rarity in the past is going to define the current market value if the manufacturer has decided to issue more copies of the game.

Edited by Willard