IGNORED

Hacking tools: Hack-O-Matic 2 and Bit Hacker

Random Terrain

For a while, Hack-O-Matic ][ was the best Atari 2600 game hacking program, but then Blinky created Bit Hacker which is even better:

http://members.home.nl/edwin.blink/atari26...s/bithacker.zip

If you haven't tried Bit Hacker before, be sure to read the readme file. Among other things, it tells you how to hack a large image without going cross-eyed. You are no longer stuck with one small strip. Now you can see the whole image!

post-13-1108630036_thumb.jpg

Bit Hacker also works with a mouse scroll wheel. If you are hooked on your scroll wheel like I am, Bit Hacker should make hacking a lot more fun.

Edited by Random Terrain

• 2 months later...

I used BitHacker to create this like 3 months ago:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57200

Glad I found it, it actually got me diving into source code.

Download the 2nd binary, the first one had collision detection disabled.

Looking back, I can't believe I found the appropriate bits to disable wall clipping. What's the chances of that?

Edited by EarthQuake

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this thread to remind people that Bit Hacker is the best Atari 2600 game hacking program at this time. Something better might come along that also lets you easily edit colors and sounds, but that program doesn't seem to exist yet.

Is there a tutorial on how to use it? Namely, how the hell did one get that picture of E.T.?

947396[/snapback]

Read the Readme file that's included with it... it explains how to line up larger images.

947428[/snapback]

Yup, tried it out yesterday. Much better program than Hack-o-matic.

I love the extended width for editing. It is easy once you understand.

Regards,

-Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've been using bit-hacker exclusively for a couple of years now and I agree it's way better to use for larger images. I used it to hack Eggomania into a game with an all new theme called Cannonfire. I downloaded HOM3 to compare it's newer features to bit-hacker but I can't get it to open and run on my Xp so I gave up on it. :(

I've been using bit-hacker exclusively for a couple of years now and I agree it's way better to use for larger images. I used it to hack Eggomania into a game with an all new theme called Cannonfire. I downloaded HOM3 to compare it's newer features to bit-hacker but I can't get it to open and run on my Xp so I gave up on it. :(

You probably don't have the 2.0 .NET Framework installed here If you go to Windows Update it's probably sitting there waiting for you to install it.

-Jeff

• 2 years later...

For a while, Hack-O-Matic ][ was the best Atari 2600 game hacking program, but then Blinky created <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Bit Hacker</span> which is even better:

If you haven't tried Bit Hacker before, be sure to read the readme file. Among other things, it tells you how to hack a large image without going cross-eyed. You are no longer stuck with one small strip. Now you can see the whole image!

post-13-1108630036_thumb.jpg

Bit Hacker also works with a mouse scroll wheel. If you are hooked on your scroll wheel like I am, Bit Hacker should make hacking a lot more fun.

Where do you get bit hacker?

• 3 months later...

It's EXTREMELY Hard To Hack Color With Hack-O-Matic!!! :_( Its Also Hard To Hack Mazes In Pacman.

First, I would switch to Hack-o-matic 3 (HOM3) and use the advanced find, that will help. If you're using stella you can press the (`) button during a game in Stella you go into debugger mode, click on the TIA tab and start pressing the Scan+1 button and it will scan the picture and give you the color codes, than using HOM3 search for those codes and change them as desired. There are other threads that discuss finding colors.

-Jeff

P.S. I suggest you do some searching before posting in older threads.

• 3 years later...

For a while, Hack-O-Matic ][ was the best Atari 2600 game hacking program, but then Blinky created Bit Hacker which is even better:

attachicon.gifattachment

The link is BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!