Welcome to Nature!
Welcome to nature! Guide Oscar the Aardvark in his quest for tasty ant eggs and the most delicious ants hidden deep below ground. But be careful with your tongue, you could get an unexpected bite!
How to Play
Oscar will enter the scene and put his tongue down the anthill. Move the joystick left, right, down or up to move his tongue tip and eat all the eggs (10 points each).
Press the FIRE button to quickly retract the tongue. Oscar cannot completely remove his tongue until the level is cleared. Once all eggs in the anthill are eaten, Oscar will move to the next, more dangerous hill. Watch the sun moving across the sky. It will eventually set and night will fall, which will bring out the most deadly enemy, so you better hurry!
Whenever Oscar moves to the next hill or loses a life, the Bonus Screen is shown. Here the worms eaten multiply the bonus score for each ant eaten.
Enemies and Obstacles
- Ants: These are the most common enemies. Oscar can eat them with the tip of his tongue. But if they touch any other part of his tongue, he will lose one life!
- Red Ants and Caterpillars: Both usually appear only deeper in the anthill. Like the normal ants, Oscar can eat them with the tip of his tongue only and must avoid them touching any other part of his tongue. But beware – they can suddenly reverse direction, too!
- Worm: The worm can only be eaten from its back because its head is poisonous!
- Queens: The queens hide at the bottom of the anthill. They will eliminate all other enemies on the screen when eaten. Use them wisely!
- Spider: The spider will only appear at night. This is the most dangerous enemy, because Oscar cannot eat it! It will slowly travel down Oscar’s tongue and kill him when it reaches the tip. The only way to kill the spider is eating a queen, but it will reappear very soon after again!
- Rocks: In WILD modes, the ants have dragged rocks into the tunnels. The rocks are harmless, but they will block Oscar’s tongue, often forcing him to find more dangerous paths down into the hill.
The WILD modes add obstacles which can block your path, and changes are also made to enemy behavior. Try the fun of discovery!
Aardvark can use the AtariVox or SaveKey for saving high scores. Each preset mode saves its own high score. If you change the starting options, your custom configuration will be saved in its own unique slot. Your most recently played game option is also saved.
Saved scores can be erased on power up by pressing down on the joystick and holding the FIRE button while the AtariAge logo is displayed.
Aardvark includes game cartridge, full-color, 8-page manual, and a professionally printed box! Aardvark is available in NTSC and PAL60 television formats. Please specify above when ordering or you will receive an NTSC cartridge by default.
|Number of Players||1 - 2|
|Cartridge Size||32K + SARA RAM|
|Game Design and Development||Óscar Toledo G.|
|Additional Programming||Thomas Jentzsch|
|Graphics and Animation||Nathan Strum|
|Packaging Artwork and Design||Nathan Strum|
This game is FANTASTIC! The amount of graphics and the animation on the Aardvark is amazing for a 2600 game. Complete with music and an increasing difficulty that ramps fairly but gets pretty hard once the rocks are introduced. This game is a must have!