IGNORED

What are the must-have hacks?

Random Terrain

Don't know where the link is right now, but the Midnight Magic hack that lets you use paddle controllers is definitely a must have hack in my opinion. It's in this forum somewhere.

The Combat AI hack is a must have if you have no friends/kids around to play combat with.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Don't know where the link is right now, but the Midnight Magic hack that lets you use paddle controllers is definitely a must have hack in my opinion. It's in this forum somewhere.

Is either of the two hacks in this thread the right one?

Hack Midnight Magic to use paddle controllers?

The Combat AI hack is a must have if you have no friends/kids around to play combat with.

Are you talking about one of these....

Tank AI

Tank AI demos

I don't know if there is a newer version or not. Zach Matley referred to these as demos.

Legend, on Sun May 15, 2011 1:26 AM, said:

Is either of the two hacks in this thread the right one?

Hack Midnight Magic to use paddle controllers?

Legend, on Sun May 15, 2011 1:26 AM, said:

Are you talking about one of these....

Tank AI

Tank AI demos

I don't know if there is a newer version or not. Zach Matley referred to these as demos.

Yeah, those are the right ones. I don't think Tank AI was ever officially finished, but it's still quite playable.

Haunted Adventure Trilogy, which strays pretty far from the original Adventure and Haunted House games, so it seems like a homebrew made from scratch. This one requires a time commitment, in my experience, but it's well worth it. Also included is a hack of Superman, which is closer to the original than the other games on this cart, but less captivating.

Edited by Gorfy

Although I'm slightly biased about it (since I made it).. I like playing the "Ms. Pacman Black" which basically just changes the background of 2600 Ms. Pacman from blue to black, like the arcade game. While completely useless at the end of the day, it's just the way I prefer to play it. :P

Edited by NE146

Not useless at all. Atari's version is a very good game without any changes - the black background is just one of those "Why didn't they do it that way in the first place?" oddities. The maze, while not totally faithful to the arcade game, differs enough to compliment the limited AI of the enemies and keep you on your toes...yet not so much to be unrecognisable to the arcade game.

I've tried to put all the hacks mentioned in this thread so far in one place and who mentioned them first. I hope I got everything correct.

Random Terrain

Pitfall II invincibility

dwane413

Pac-Man Arcade Enhanced

Hack'em!

Packrat

accousticguitar

Missadventure Revised

Space Invaders Deluxe (also see Space Invaders Deluxe 8k)

River Raid 4 Rivers Random

Omega Race-Joystick controller (I couldn't find the thread, but it is in Atari 2600 Hacks and Homebrews ROM Collection V1.2) (also see Omega Race DC)

littleman jack

Pac-Man 8k

Wolfenstein - The Next Mission

Zach

Muncher

Thomas Jentzsch

Missile Command TB

Sadistroids

NE146

Arcade Asteroids

Ms. Pacman Black

Emehr

Berzerk Voice Enhanced

Return of Mario Bros (also here is the original thread with dead BIN link)

Impaler_26

Venture 3

Atrix

Indy 500 XE

Ace

Solaris Trainer

Knightmate

Planet Raid

Man goes Down (Hack)

Combat Redux

PDP Space War

River Raid Plus

Sprintmaster DC

roadrunner

Q*Bert Arcade

ComputerSpaceFan

Grundle vs Rhindle

thegoldenband

The two-button hacks that take advantage of the Genesis controller are very nice indeed. Double Dragon, in particular, is hugely improved.

Legend

Midnight Magic Dual Control

Tank AI (also see Tank AI demos)

Venture II: The Abysmal Abyss (I didn't find a thread with the ROM, but found this)

Gorfy

"Haunted Adventure Trilogy" (contains the following)

Haunted Adventure - Boo!

Haunted Adventure II - Redemption

Haunted Adventure III - Witch's Flight (I don't think this is available for download)

PacManPlus

Defender Arcade

Edited by dwane413
  • Like 4

I second the Haunted Adventure Trilogy. I have only played the first two though since part 3 bin is not available at the moment. I'm dying to try it though.

I also second Wolfenstein the next mission.

Venture II and Venture III are also pretty good hacks that I really enjoy. Not as extensive of a venture hack as Wolfenstein, but still very good.

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts, but I did a hack a while back, taking Stargate and hacking it into 'Defender Arcade'.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/91016-2600-defender-arcade-pretty-much-complete/page__view__findpost__p__1425814

Thanks for the link to the latest version. I wasn't sure where it was.

I second the Haunted Adventure Trilogy. I have only played the first two though since part 3 bin is not available at the moment. I'm dying to try it though.

Venture II and Venture III are also pretty good hacks that I really enjoy. Not as extensive of a venture hack as Wolfenstein, but still very good.

I added Venture II to my post above.

• Like 1

I added Venture II to my post above.

Venture II is a good one.